My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

As a little kid, I wanted to be a brain surgeon. I heard they make lots of money, and you had to be really smart to do it.

Then I met a brain surgeon. He was old and crusty looking. I didn't want to be old and crusty looking, so I decided I needed to be something else.

I wanted to be a rock star. So I sent in my application, and I have yet to hear back.

I also wanted to be an actor, until I discovered that I don't like actors. I like acting, sort of, but I don't "appreciate the craft." Actors tend to be very self-important, narcissistic people, and I can no longer imagine a life where my entire existence is validated by the amount if applause I get.

So what's left?

I'm pushing 40, and I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I'm not really complaining; I've been able to make a living, which is a good thing, since I now have five children who only eat if I have a job, yet I have yet to discover a career. I'd still be happy to be a rock star, though. When Mick Jagger retires, I'm going to fill his position.

It's not like I'm nobody. I'm a husband and a father, and both of those roles are very satisfying. It's just that I'm not content just to make money. I want to accomplish something. I want to achieve something. I feel like as time goes by, I'm running out of options.

Should I be a dentist?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dentists have the highest suicide rate of any doctor.

September 26, 2007 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Son, be a dentist. You have a talent for causing things pain.

Son, be a dentist. People will pay you to be inhumane.

September 26, 2007 at 8:04 PM  
Blogger wynne said...

No, no. Dentists deal with decay and bad breath all day. Go on a crusade. Save the whale. Bring back the dodo from a speck of DNA in a piece of amber...or just wait for that rock star gig to come through. It will.

September 26, 2007 at 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion's having a mid-life crisis!

Jeepers!

September 27, 2007 at 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion's having a mid-life crisis!

Jeepers!

September 27, 2007 at 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could be just like Rudolph's "friend".

September 27, 2007 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Mid-life crisis? Not quite. I'd have to get a shiny red car once I hit crisis mode. And I can't afford one yet.

I shan't be killing myself, either. I actually can think of nothing less pleasant than being a dentist. I think Herbie the Elf should have rethought his priorities.

September 27, 2007 at 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home