My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Friday, November 9, 2007

Links

People accuse me of wasting a lot of time on the Internet, and I plead guilty. I’ve still managed to remain marginally functional, but I sneak a lot of web surfing into the cracks in the day. Most of my time is spent in front of a computer screen anyway, so it’s not that hard to do.

And, believe it or not, this isn’t the only place I hang out on this here InterWeb thingee. Just in case you want to join me in my quest for irrelevance, I now provide you with the links I have at the top of my Safari toolbar. Use them wisely. Or not.

These are the bookmarks from left to right, and, since the most recent ones are on the left, the bookmarks go from newest to oldest. I’ll even include the identifying codes I use, unless the names need to be changed to protect the innocent.

#1 - FB - It’s just in the past few days that a friend of mine from college has gotten me hooked on Facebook, which is an upscale, more private MySpace for grown-ups. I accidentally ran into a few people from my childhood – including the brother of a Korean guy who my sister was once planning on marrying. (Initials J-SK, family. Brother of B-SK.) It’s kind of fun; it’s easy; and it lets me throw a sheep at people for no particular reason with the SuperPoke function.

#2 - Blog - That’s where I find the Bookmark for this blog. I can go from here to my dashboard, where I can edit posts, delete comments, and wonder why the heck Blogger software is so buggy.

#3 - GA and #4 - GAW. These are work bookmarks, one for Google Analytics and one for Google Adwords. I can see how many people have visited the Kauai websites and change ads and such. I can also see who’s visiting this blog, which is getting around 100 unique visits a day from all over the world. A lot come from Utah, a lot from California, and, surprisingly, a bunch come from Massachusetts. I also get a bunch from Chicago Ridge, Illinois. Languatron, is that you?

#5 – NRO – National Review Online, the best conservative website out there. The Corner has been called the “water cooler for conservatives.” It’s an especially good place to hang out on election nights, because all the writers there get the inside scoop on all the results as they come in.

#6 – This is the MySpace page of a guy I’ve referred to on this site as My Esteemed Colleague in posts about crank calling and Landrum hatred.

It is, shall we say, unique.

My boring communist post was a response to one of his blog entries. He doesn’t update the page as often as I’d like, but I find he’s always worth reading. The only problem is that the pag, upon your arrival, plays a soundbite mixing The A-Team and Star Wars, so if you visit this page when people are around, make sure you turn down the sound.

#7 – frak – This is the homepage of Frakheads.com, the only place where Languatron consistently posts on the Internet anymore. I’ve lost interest, but I haven’t removed the link from my toolbar, so perhaps the day will come when I engage him in battle yet again.

#8 – Skiffy – This is the home page of the SciFi Channel Battlestar Galactica forum. I used to be quite the regular over there, but I rarely visit. I haven’t bothered to remove this one from my browser, either.

#9 – CA – The Cylon Alliance, the finest geek bulletin board this side of the Pecos. (Actually, since the people who run the board are from all over the world, I’m not sure which side of the Pecos they’re on.) I’m a sporadic participant over there, but I read what’s going on pretty regularly.

#10 – Rush
– Yes, that’s right. I have a link to the RushLimbaugh.com website on my browser. And I use it, too. It’s really good. It’s updated daily, and it organizes his entire three-hour show into easily digestible tidbits so you can ignore the stuff that doesn’t interest you.

#11 – L.com – This is a link to the Lucianne.com News Forum homepage. All the news stories of the day are posted by readers, who can then comment on the substance of them. I’ve commented occasionally, but not often. It’s a great place to see what stories are hot at the moment.

#12 – Cinescape – The Cinescape.com website is dead, but even though I’ve changed the link of the bookmark to point to the new site at mania.com, I can’t be bothered to change the actual name of the link. It’s a great place for movie info and gossip.

#13 – AICN – Ain’t It Cool News, THE place for movie news and rumors. I once got my fake review of Superman Returns published there before I’d actually seen the movie. The review was credited to Languatron’s Bane.

#14 – RCP – RealClearPolitics.com, which lists all the news stories of the day in much the same way Lucianne.com does, only you can’t comment on it. The cool thing about this site is that you can see all the latest polls, and the RCP average of all the polls, which gives you the best sense of where the presidential race is going.

#15 – T&S – TimesandSeasons.org, a group blog on Mormon stuff that was co-founded by my brother-in-law. It bills itself as “quite possibly the most symphonic, yet madcap, onymous Mormon group blog in history.” Quite possibly? I don’t think there’s any question.

#16 – My online banking site. No more information about said site will be offered here.

#17 – MMW – MormonMommyWars.com. I’m not a Mormon Mommy, but I know a bunch of them who post over there, so I look in on occasion. It always makes me feel like I’m eavesdropping on private girlie talk, but that’s not as fun as it sounds, because, apparently, girls in private talk about dirty diapers, diets, and dishes.

#18 – Blab – This is a private family bulletin board run by my siblings, most of whom post more often here than they do there.

#19 – OSC – This is Hatrack.com, the official website of Mormon author Orson Scott card. He has a weekly column called Uncle Orson Reviews Absolutely Everything that is always worth reading. He also has a political column that’s updated less frequently, but it’s always spot on in its analysis. (He protests that he’s still a Democrat, but he’s less and less convincing as time goes on.)

#20 – Moist
– The link to Stallion Cornell’s Moist Board, a strange little bulletin board I started a few years ago that has taken on a life of its own. I’ve been called an Absentee Landlord over there, which is probably accurate, but I still like to go mix it up with everyone every once in awhile.

#21 – drudge – The Drudge Report. It’s also my home page.

That’s it. I can’t think of an exciting way to end this.

9 Comments:

Blogger foodleking said...

Landru, Landrum, Languatron, and Landau? Hmmm......

Do you think your esteemed colleague ever posts here?

November 9, 2007 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Another great blog run by a Mormon intellectual is Mormanity.

November 9, 2007 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I've been to Mormanity a number of times. It's great. That Lindsay guy has the best LDS FAQ out there, especially on the whole DNA/Book of Mormon issue.

I don't think my esteemed colleague has ever visited here. He maintains his myspace pages - there's one for his band, Nightmare of the Elf, too - but he's surprisngly Internetly agoraphobic, unwilling to venture out beyond his own territory.

My sister tells me, however, that JP, the eldest son of my/your former stake president, frequents this site. That's kind of fun. Shout out to the Pharaoh!

BTW, Foodleking, are you on Facebook with a picture of Derek Zoolander as your icon?

November 9, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

We talk about more than diets, diapers, and dishes. We talk about our dogs, too. Hmmmph.

November 9, 2007 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

I religiously avoid MySpace and Facebook.

November 9, 2007 at 12:47 PM  
Blogger AlphaNova said...

You use Safari as a web browser?

November 9, 2007 at 3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aintitcool.com rocks the hizouse.

November 9, 2007 at 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you don't visit The Hun?

November 10, 2007 at 1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the Dark Tower links?

November 12, 2007 at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home