My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Satan and Mike Huckabee Are Brothers

This post's title comes courtesy of my brother-in-law, who wrote this article about Mitt Romney for the San Francisco Chronicle and called tonight to commiserate over Romney's crushing defeat. 

And, make no mistake, this is a crushing defeat. After spending millions more dollars than his rivals, Romney ekes out a distant second-place finish to an underfunded, unRepublican, anti-Mormon rube. He goes into next Tuesday's battle in New Hampshire as a damaged candidate, facing a surging John McCain who has taken a decisive lead in the polls in a state where Romney was practically the sitting governor. 

Romney, I believe, is finished. 

He'll probably stay in the race for a little while longer, and he can actually stay in as long as he likes, given his inexhaustible financial resources. But there's no way he captures the national attention or regains any momentum. McCain now owns New Hampshire, and Huckabee will probably win South Carolina, and McCain will win everything else until Super Duper Tuesday, when Huckabee fades from view and McCain becomes the anti-Giuliani and coasts to the nomination. 

And then, come November, say hello to President Obama. Which is less of a stomach-turning prospect than President McCain. 

The thing that makes me ill is that this was due almost exclusively to Romney's religion. Which means that those who make decisions about my political party loathe me solely on the basis of my faith. Nothing I can do about it - there's no use in playing the victim, and, politically, I've got nowhere else to go. (What, like I'm going to be a Democrat?) But it probably means that I take a few steps back. If Republicans go down to defeat in 2008, they deserve it. They deserved it in 2006, too. I can't get behind McCain. And I would campaign for Hillary before I would vote for Mike Huckabee. 

The good news tonight is that Cornelius' masterwork Fox Man II: Worm Man Returns won the district-wide Reflections Literature Award and now goes on to compete at Regionals. So take that, Huck. Enjoy your short-lived victory. It may not have cost you a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure it cost you a piece of your soul. 



11 Comments:

Blogger The Wiz said...

I tried not to care, but I really do care. And I am sad.

January 3, 2008 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Huckabee thinks this country is overrun by immigrants from Pakistan. If he ever chooses to bomb a country as president, I hope he looks at a map first.

At least Obama beat Hillary.

January 3, 2008 at 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romney was traking at 24 and is now trading at 14.

January 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that the end result of Huckabee's win in Iowa is President Obama. That is a fine outcome. Obama is sincere, intelligent, articulate, innovative, and inventive -- and his newness on the scene/lack of experience can be addressed through good advisers, etc. But it is astounding that Evangelical Christians would still vote for Huckabee when it virtually gaurantees this result.

January 4, 2008 at 8:39 AM  
Blogger DTR said...

Whoa, John, did you just say that Obama is articulate?? Joe Biden could educate you a little about the loaded nature of that adjective. The others, of course, are fine.

January 4, 2008 at 10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"the end result of Huckabee's win in Iowa is President Obama."

The only candidate who was really hurt in Iowa is Romney, and voters have no reason to think he would win in November better than Thompson, McCain or Giuliani. In head-to-head polls against the Democrats, Romney does the worst of all of them, and McCain usually does the best.

- Matt Evans

January 4, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I am becoming more and more convinced each day that Satan and The Huck are brothers. I know it's not very Christlike (or even at all Christlike) but I want a shirt that says "Huck Sucks". If I find one I will wear it everyday.

January 4, 2008 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt: I agree with you that Romney has negatives other than Mormonism, but the testimony of the polls is not quite as stark as you make it out to be. Check out:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/national.html

January 4, 2008 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Adam Greenwood said...

I'd much rather vote for Huckabee than for Clinton. She has come out in support of even partial-birth abortion, so I see embracing partial second-class citizen status as a far better prospect.

January 5, 2008 at 8:01 AM  
Blogger Adam Greenwood said...

Obama also supports even partial birth abortion, I believe.

January 5, 2008 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the masterful obituary. It gave me some closure.

January 7, 2008 at 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home