My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sexy Grammar and Pronunciation

I’m a slob.

I’ve always been a slob, and I come from a family of slobs. Mrs. Cornell, a non-slob, isn’t too happy about my whole slob motif, and I’ve tried to adapt to living in the real world where people expect you to have an ironed shirt and don’t want to find Filet-O-Fish wrappers on the floor of your car, but I’m still struggling with it. I just don’t care enough to pick up after myself. I’m the opposite of an anal retentive, which is a pretty gross metaphor if you interpret the original description literally.

So it’s all the more surprising that I’m a Grammar Nazi. Perhaps I’m overcompensating for my irretentive anus in other ways, but nothing peeves me off more than lousy grammar. This, too, is a source of endless annoyance to the lovely Mrs. Cornell, who is exceptionally bright and literate, but does not share my contempt for ending sentences with prepositions. Some of our most gruesome marital squabbles have centered on sentence construction. I don’t know who originally said this, but ending a sentence with a preposition is an effrontery up with which I will not put.

But just as she’s learned to tolerate a certain amount of detritus in my living conditions, I’ve bitten my tongue a number of times to avoid obsessing over irrelevant grammatical imperfections. Currently, I’m coming to accept that many people I love see the verbs “lie” and “lay” as interchangeable, and they can say the sentence “I’m going to go lay down for awhile” without feeling like they’re scraping nails down a chalkboard.

The correct thing to say would be “I’m going to go LIE down.” “Lay” always takes a direct object – you lay something down, whereas you lie down when you’re talking about yourself. Complicating the equation is the fact that “lay” is also the past tense of “lie,” so you can say “I lay down for awhile” if you’re talking about what you did yesterday. It’s all very convoluted and doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter at all. Nope.

I’ve got problems.

It gets worse. When I went to USC, I took a class in phonetics, where I learned standard American pronunciation. I was already a grammar and spelling compulsive – I’m forced to correct these hastily written blog entries when I discover typos and trivial errors, like misspelling Karl Malone’s name yesterday or using the word “hoisted” instead of “foisted” – but this class allowed me to become a pronunciation freak as well. There’s a slight difference, though. Phonetic irregularities aren’t necessarily incorrect; they’re just regionalisms. Standard American speech eliminates regional dialects and makes everyone sound like they’re from an upscale Connecticut suburb. It’s the way all newscasters in the country speak, as well as many actors – Robin Williams is a pretty standard American speaker, and Kelsey Grammar is compulsively so.

What was interesting when I began the class was that my own dialect didn’t actually reflect the region where I grew up. I should have sounded like a Southern Californian, with a flat, surfery “O” vowel sound in “hello” or “no way!” Instead, I have the hard, Jimmy Stewartish R sound that comes when you roll your tongue too far back in your mouth. That’s very typical of the Salt Lake area, and I’ve since discovered that most American Mormons have that same regionalism in their speech, regardless of where they live.

A Utahism that really bugs me is the clipping of the vowel in words like “real” and “deal,” so that when you go to order a burger and fries, you ask for the “rill mill dill.” That little phonetic tick has never crept into my own speech, but you can never be too careful.

The danger in all of this is that your speech starts sounding affected and artificial, and that’s why I’ve allowed my Rs to revert back to their natural, Kermit the Frog-style default position. I can speak standard American if I want to, but I simply choose not to.

Crap. I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Time to go lay down for awhile.

11 Comments:

Blogger Papa D said...

There is a difference between "may" and "might" - and it's not a trivial one.

My practice that drives people nuts is how I use punctuation marks. Standard American usage is to put quotation marks outside any punctuation. (For example, "I write things that are 'unique.'") The standard British usage is to put the punctuation marks inside the punctuation marks. (For example, "I write things that are 'unique'".)

I was taught to combine the two, by putting quotation marks for individual words and phrases next to the actual words and phrases (inside the punctuation marks) - to show that the word or phrase needs emphasis and is not an actual quote, and putting quotation marks of entire sentences or quotes outside the punctuation marks - to show that the entire thought is a quote. (For example, "I write things that are 'unique'.")

Not "sexy", just weird, I know.

(The other thing that drives people nuts is my common sentence length, as proven by the explanation of my punctuation use - and this sentence.)

April 29, 2008 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, not everyone in the family you come from are slobs.

Although I am considered the least anal retentive in the local group of desperate housewives of the town in which I reside.

I'm with Mrs. Cornell. Go pick up your dirty socks and let her lay down until you can find where their at.

April 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

My wonderful wife (who is from Utah, and still pokes fun at the phonetic tick you mention) very much dislikes that I pronounce a very slight "w" sound in "sword." Drives her crazy (not in a good way).

Another fun Utah tick is to put a "T" sound in the middle of last names, such as Jensen and Nelson.

"Irregardless" is not a word, and why is "nucular" an acceptable substitute for "nuclear?" Even the TV show "24" adopted its usage. George Bush is no Harry Truman, who reportedly created the word "normalcy" from thin air. Malapropisms are fun, but it becomes ridiculous when a clearly mispronounced and incorrect word is adopted because its user is perceived as important.

April 29, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

JBN.... uh, it's "they're," not "their." Apparently not anal retentive enough, eh?

April 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were on an airplane recently where the flight attendant said we needed to turn off all "electronical" devices.

April 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking to see who noticed... knew SC would pick it up. Good job foodleking!!

April 29, 2008 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I noticed JBN's "their," but I thought it was part of her whole deliberate bad grammar pastiche.

SWord, huh? Where'd that come from, FK?

And even though it's spelled "often," it's pronounced "offen."

papa d, I've never noticed the "may" and "might" thing. It seems to me that "may" can be used as a synonym for "might," but the converse is not always true.

You're on your own with those quotation marks, though.

April 29, 2008 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Ditto. DITTO. Oh my gosh, I am a total grammar Nazi. I had to dump boys I dated just because of the way they spoke, and my compulsive need to correct them.

I am a slob, but not NEARLY as bad as you.

The "lie" thing drives me crazy, too.

April 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once sat in a YW lesson in which the teacher taught that "counseling with the Lord in all thy doings" was the same as ward council. The more she interchanged the two words, the more I squirmed. I finally had to stop her and explain the difference between the two. I totally blew her whole lesson! She had absolutely no idea what principle it was she was supposed to be teaching!

Yup, I got the grammer Nazi/slob gene as well.

April 29, 2008 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You kids just crack me up. Next Sundee, I'll take you up to the crick and you can see how we was all raised. Now isn't that speshal.

April 29, 2008 at 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'.

April 29, 2008 at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home