My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Friday, July 18, 2008

Ramblings

My wife wants me to tell potty training stories, but, alas, I’m not sure how to make those interesting. There was the time that our oldest used her crap to draw on the walls of my parent’s house, or the time just recently when our youngest came home from vacation and celebrated by taking a dump out in the driveway. The bottom line is that gross things come out of kid’s bottoms, and there are only so many ways to describe a rogue bowel movement. If Mrs. Cornell wants to make a guest post on the subject, she’s welcome to do it. All I can say is she’s far more tolerant of my children’s bowels than she is of mine.

She’s started a new yoga class and brought home the literature therefrom, which maintains that yoga clears out your colon and cures AIDS. Neither one of us has AIDS, so that’s lost on us. However, that colon thing seems promising. I’m still in my personal trainer hell, and I almost fainted on Wednesday in my first workout since my return. Exercise just blows. There’s no way around it.

I’m reminded of one of my old acting professors who smoked incessantly and mocked the people who talked about smoking ten years off of your life. “Folks,” he’d say, “it’s the last ten! What am I missing, a chance to drool into my soup?” I feel that way about exercise. So what if I live longer? If I subtract the time exercising from my extended life, I come out just about even, don’t I? Actually, no, because the quality of life improves. I have to admit I feel better and have more energy to do stuff. And smoking, I’ve decided, doesn’t just lop off ten years – it accelerates those years, so that you get to drool into your soup ten years earlier. I remember the guy we hired to move us from St. George to Sandy had the worst emphysema you’ve ever seen. We called him Gollum, because he had to painfully slurp in each breath and only seemed comfortable when he had a cigarette, and he smoked a pile of them. I’d bet a whole lot of money that the dude is dead by now.

Forgive me if I don’t shed any tears. This dude was scum. He’d hire black assistants to help him pack his truck, and he’d spend all day hurling racial epithets at them until they quit, so he wouldn’t have to pay them. He ran out of boxes while he was packing us and asked us to go to the dumpster behind the mall to get some more. And to top it off, when it was all over, we found out he’d stolen our television set. I’ve forgotten his name and the name of the company, so I can’t warn you away from using him. But as I say, he’s probably dead, so it doesn’t matter.

Tony Snow is dead, too, and that makes me sad. He was a classy, funny guy – easily the best press secretary of any president I’ve seen in my lifetime. I was listening to Condoleeza Rice praising him, and she said that Tony Snow will never be forgotten. And it dawned on me that she’s absolutely wrong. Everybody is eventually forgotten. Seriously. How many people’s names and accomplishments outlast their lifetime by more than a couple of decades or so? Even historical figures like kings and presidents get forgotten relatively quickly. All the great artists and writers like Shakespeare and DaVinci – they’ve only been dead for a few hundred years. They’ve beaten the odds, but will they still be remembered in another thousand years? Can you think of any artists from 1008 or earlier whose names ring a bell today?

The only exception to this rule that I can think of is religious figures. Moses, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha – these dudes have stuck around for a mighty long time. That’s why L. Ron Hubbard founded a religion – he wanted to carve his name into history forever. He’s succeeded in lingering for an extra couple of decades, but I’d bet a million dollars that he’ll be completely forgotten in less than a century. (If I’m wrong, I’ll be dead before it can be proven, so no one will be around to collect.)

I think there might have once been a point to this post, but for the life of me, I can’t remember what it is.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion,

I agree with you on the whole notion of adding years to the END of your life. My grandmother lived to 103 and she hated it. She felt she was some terriable experiment from God. (It not easy being old.)

The idea that most everyone is forgotten is so true. A few years ago a favorite uncle of mine passed away (I am wearing his watch as I type this). I while helping my cousins clean out the house we ran across all sorts of old wedding photos. (The house was in their family since before the civil war.) As I sorted though the history, I would look at the photos and ask.
“Who is this?”
One of my cousins would reply “I don’t know.”
“Keep it?”
“No.”
At that moment I realized that my wedding photo would (someday in the future) meet the same fate.

July 18, 2008 at 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were exercising for me!! You Bennetts live long no matter whether you exercise or not. It's just the quality of life (that's code word for sex) that improves when you're in good shape.

And I still think a blog on potty training would have been funny although you don't have quite the right audience.

July 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Well, that was certainly rambly. And exercise blows, I'm with you.

July 18, 2008 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger James A. Howard said...

Stallion, Orson Scott Card just published a scathing critique of a software product produced by Franklin.

...But apparently the folks at Franklin decided that people who send Christmas cards were no longer customers they wanted.

My wife does say, in PlanPlus's favor, that it does have lovely colors.

"Going back to our old tried-and-true version," my wife said, "was like coming home from Vegas. Vegas has lots of bells and whistles and lights and colors – but it's all fake. Home isn't so splashy, but it's real."

Sadly enough, the people who created Franklin PlanPlus are probably still employed somewhere as software designers and programmers.

If you drove a bus or flew a plane or performed surgery as badly as they design software, you wouldn't just be fired, you'd be jailed. But for stealing time from our lives and making our computers useless, they just get ... paid...


(http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/Articles-i-2008-07-17-181911.112113_Journey_Encyclopedias_Driver_Agent.html)

My first thought was, "Stallion must have had something to do with this corporate oversight." But then, I remembered, the highest rank you ever achieved in the company was Deck Swabber -- or was it Foodlesquire?

July 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brutus.

Ah, you know his name? Brutus assassinated Caesar, what 2000 years ago? And here's a high school dropout in Dallas Texas who knows who he was.

And they say fame is fleeting.

July 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

So that's the ticket, then. Kill somebody famous.

Yikes.

July 18, 2008 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Oh, and yes, FK and I were Franklin's first janitors.

Nobody in my family has been associated with Franklin at all for well over a decade.

July 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yes, but you have to kill a famous person in a controversial, mysterious way. Nobody (but us geeks) knows who killed William McKinley, but Kennedy and Lincoln? They know them.

July 18, 2008 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

We decorated our "janitorial closet" in a way that wasn't very popular with the higher ups. And this was my first realization that women are much messier in the restroom than men.

July 19, 2008 at 12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Das war fucking brutto, ...... wir sollten irgendwann Urlaub zusammen.

SB

July 19, 2008 at 6:58 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Homer. People have been reading his stuff for like, 27 centuries. And I'm not talking about Simpson, either, although I wouldn't be surprised if the Simpsons are around until Hank Azaria dies.

And why does Stuntman Mike want to go on holiday with you?

July 19, 2008 at 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, that would be brother, Stuntman Bob.

SM

July 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brokeback mountain holiday

July 19, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ja.

SB

July 19, 2008 at 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Als anonymer ist sehr schwul.

SM

July 19, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger James A. Howard said...

My wife says that, in her restroom cleaning experiences, men leave the toilet seat in a far messier state than women -- no contest.

July 19, 2008 at 8:35 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Oh the HAIR!!! The endless amounts of HAIR!!!! How do women not go bald with all the hair everywhere.

July 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

foodleking ID richtig! es Haar Terroristen!

SB

July 20, 2008 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger Papa D said...

Tony Snow will be forgotten, but until then he will be missed.

July 20, 2008 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Ikarus said...

How about a blog article on Vince Colletta?

July 21, 2008 at 10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gayest comments yet

July 21, 2008 at 3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog brought to you by the makers of Vagicil.

SM

July 21, 2008 at 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is about as welcome as a pink sock at a lemon party.

July 21, 2008 at 7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonym gehen müssen zum Lager zu gehören.

SB

July 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen people spit on it, but lemons are a new experience for me.

Is it tastier?

SM

July 21, 2008 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wie wäre es mit einer netten Dusche.

July 22, 2008 at 3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home