My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Monday, October 27, 2008

Stallion Checks Out

I voted last week. Now I’m done.

I remember election night in 1994, living in DC and calling my brother across the country and gloating as the Republicans came storming out of nowhere to recapture Congress. It was such a delight to watch all the supposedly objective news anchors aghast with horror as America threw the bums out.

In 2006, when it was clear that the GOP had abandoned its principles and America was abandoning the GOP, I listened to Christmas music all the next day. I felt much, much better.

Well, that was then. This is now. 2008 is going to make 2006 look like a Republican Wonderland.

We’re turning ourselves into France. I suppose that’s not all bad – I’ve been to France, and they have nice crepes. But that’s about it. Their economy is stagnant; their entrepreneurial spirit doesn’t exist, and freedom has given way to a false security induced by governmental largesse. All of Europe is going down that road, but it’s been okay, because they’ve had the big, bad US to stand ready to do violence on their behalf should things go wrong.

Now, with supermajorities in both houses of Congress and the most committed Leftist president in the history of our republic, Barney Frank’s vision of a 25% cut across the board of our military forces is about to become a reality. As old entitlements metastasize and consume our entire federal budget, new entitlements that will be impossible to kill are coming down the pike. New rights are going to be invented by courts that are sensitive and caring about everything except the actual language of the Constitution. Our economic downturn is going to be deepened and widened by elected officials who trust themselves more than markets, which means they’ll screw things up with the best of intentions.

It’s going to suck. So I’m checking out.

I’m done with politics until it’s safe to come out of my virtual bomb shelter. I’m going to stop checking political websites; I’m going to turn off the television. No radio, unless it’s Christmas music. KOSY 106.5 starts playing Christmas music on Halloween. My radio is going to be set permanently to that station until I can stomach seeing the political wasteland my country has become. I have no interest in seeing the same news anchors who wanted to shoot themselves in ’94 gloat with delight as all their statist dreams come true in 2008. I don’t want to hear anything that Barbra Streisand has to say.

This blog will be politics free for quite some time now. (That will make Thursowick happy. )

So enjoy it, leftists. It’s your world now. As for me, here comes Santa Claus, here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus lane.

11 Comments:

Blogger The Wiz said...

You might want to switch stations now and again or you might have to listen to "Last Christmas" a lot.

October 27, 2008 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

This year, to save me from tears, I'll give it to someone special.

October 27, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

Translation: "My next political post will be next week, at the latest."

;-)

October 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Past denial, there is despair, then ambivalence. I've felt this way for a long time. Unless there is some overriding important reason to pay attention (such as California Prop 8), I simply don't.

October 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But. hey, at least you're still an optomist.

October 27, 2008 at 7:23 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

But who did you vote FOR?

October 27, 2008 at 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you ought to at least wait until the 5th. Then go on vacation. It's only one more week for Pete's sake.

Anyway, did you vote for your dead explorer?

October 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I DID vote for Jacques Cousteau, yes. But not for president. Knowing Obama was going to win, I wanted to be able to say I did everything I could to oppose him. So I voted for McCain (against Obama) and then threw up.

October 28, 2008 at 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that's good.

I'm sorry though to see one of our best and brightest leave the fight before the bitter end. We sure could use your involvement and commentary over the last week.

October 28, 2008 at 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Foodleking - supporting prop 8 is beneath you. I don't care what nonsense your church is feeding you. love,
yer friend since we were tots.

October 31, 2008 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Philip my brother, my church has very little to do with my support for Prop 8 (it does have some, just not much). Thousands of years of human history have proven that the traditional family offers the best chance for children to succeed in life, and therefore for the society to continue. Perhaps the most important function of society and government is to promote the ideal choice above all other choices. It does this by granting people the privilege to marry and raise children. In every successful society, marriage has never been considered a civil right. Even heterosexual people have never had the right to marry anyone of their choosing. I genuinely feel for friends, coworkers, and fellow church members who are homosexuals and feel left out. We do not do enough to include them in our lives and show love to them. But traditional marriage is essential for the prosperity of our society. If it was Liechtenstein, or Upper Volta, or Mississippi, I wouldn't care as much. But California is bigger than most countries, and as California goes, so may most of the rest of the country, eventually.

November 1, 2008 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home