My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Call Him Ishmael

My first dog was named for the narrator of Moby-Dick, a wandering soul who boards Captain Ahab’s ship and chronicles his deadly obsession with the white whale. I’ve never read Moby-Dick, and, as near as I can tell, neither has anyone else. But it’s the only book I know of, apart from scripture, that has the name Ishmael in it. In my eyes, that alone is enough to make it cool – although not enough to get me to read it.

My Ishmael wasn’t any kind of a sailor. He hated water and the cleanliness that came with it. He was something of a wanderer, though, more like his Biblical namesake than the dude on the boat. In Genesis, Ishmael, firstborn son of Abraham, was cast off into the desert, unwanted and alone, much like the sad stray dog that my mother took in a couple of years before I was born. Mom was fond of taking in stray dogs and stray people over the years, but none of them captured my imagination like Ishmael – or Ish for short.

I was devoted to that unkempt, scrawny black lab mutt. I didn’t realize until many years after he died that Ish didn’t really like us very much.

Oh, I’m not sure if that’s entirely true, but there was no other way to explain his desire to bolt whenever he saw an open door. He was pleasant enough when the doors were closed, especially if there was food involved, but he never really took to the simple life. When freedom presented itself, Ish made a run for it.

Then came the call to arms.

“Ish is out!” someone would scream, and then the entire house would mobilize for the rescue mission. Mom would drag us into the station wagon, and we would patrol the streets, following the trail of destruction in Ish’s wake as he ran furiously to escape the little kids who loved him too much to let him go. Eventually, he would be cornered or exhausted, and we’d haul him back into the car and back home, where he moped and shlumped his way through the indignity of domesticity. Sometimes, though, we would fail to catch him, and Ish would be seemingly gone forever.

It was in those moments, then, when Ish showed his true colors.

An hour or two after his disappearance, Ish would return of his own free will, bearing a peace offering – a dead bird, a dead rabbit, or perhaps even a dead cat, which did not endear Ish to any of our feline-loving neighbors. Mom was aghast, but I was glad to know that, underneath it all, Ish really did like us. Either that, or he was hungry after a few hours alone and liked to be fed. Either way was fine with me.

Comedian George Carlin once noted that, because of the relatively short life span of domestic pets compared to their owners, every dog or cat is a built-in childhood tragedy waiting to happen. Ish lived a long and healthy life, I suppose, but he died before I was a teenager. I was embarrassed by how much I cried when I found out, and I never thought I could love again. That changed drastically when I discovered girls a few years later, most of whom liked me even less than Ish did, but you never forget your connection to the first beast to barge into your life. And his veterinary-induced departure left a hole in my life that has mostly healed by now, but it still stings if I fiddle with it.

After all, what became of Captain Ahab after the white whale was dead? (Seriously, what became of him? I haven’t read the book. I don’t know.)

12 Comments:

Blogger Professor Chaos said...

There's a villain in the Wheel of Time series (started by Robert Jordan, now being finished by the genius Brandon Sanderson) named Ishamael. Very close to Ishmael.

November 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Stallion's Brother said...

Ah, Ishmael. What a dog! Stories about that animal could fill this blog for years.

Completely untrainable, that dog just hated to be restrained in any way whatsoever. Leashes, fences, walls -- it didn't matter. He just wanted to run free. As you said, he would eventually come back, but that dog just wanted freedom more than anything! I guess it's a good thing we were young kids, so we never knew any better. You mean dogs would actually come when they were called when they were outside? Who knew? Certainly not us.

I'm sure my memory is tainted after all these years (Ish died about 30 years ago), but I choose to remember him fondly. He was a very loyal and playful dog, as long as he was in the BACK yard. He put up with a lot (I used to give him "wheelies" where I would pick him up by his stomach and spin around), but he always came back for more. And ever since Ish, there's been a black lab in my family. So I guess his legacy lives on!

Besides, chasing (and catching) that dog around the neighborhood was fun. (Well, the memories are fun at least!)

November 17, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Heather O. said...

Um, your mother doesn't believe in neutering male pets, so Ishmael had a legitimate reason for needing to bolt. She also doesn't believe in stuff like training dogs, or making them actually think they are anything but the Alpha. Don't you remember that the cleaning service once said that they wanted to be reincarnated as one of your mother's pet?

I've only read half of Moby Dick. Once they started talking about whale steaks, I just couldn't finish it.

November 17, 2009 at 11:28 AM  
Anonymous Robotonthetoilet said...

I'm shocked you haven’t read Moby Dick Stallion. One of my favorite books. It ranks up there with Ulysses.

Kahn would not be pleased.

November 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Seriously. I don't know why mom never did, but neuter the dog, stop the madness. If he had been neutered, he would have been a completely different dog. You can try to chalk it up to personality, or "not liking you" or whatever, but in the end, it was sexual frustration and no training whatsoever that sent that dog bolting. He just needed a bitch in heat. Literally.

November 17, 2009 at 12:17 PM  
Anonymous wbpraw said...

Mom believes in neutering, doesn't she? I remember the other dogs being neutered - why not Ishmael? I remember the humping of the leg NOT so fondly and he also killed Julie's friend's cat. NOT cool. But alas... I loved him too. Didn't he get hit by a car once?

November 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Midnight wasn't neutered, either.

November 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Mom didn't neuter. She spayed if she had a girl dog, but she figured she didn't have to deal with resulting puppies if she had a male, so why bother?

There are problems with that, but hey. Her dogs. Midnight would roam the canyon and get into all kinds of trouble.

I think Cinder was already neutered when we got him.

November 18, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Nope, doesn't believe in neutering. Spaying, yes. Neutering, not so much. Midnight used to bolt before we lived in the canyon, just like Ishmael. Midnight even knocked me down face first onto the sport court once in his efforts to mate with my leg. I lost my two front teeth, and sprayed blood all over the place. Totally traumatic.

November 18, 2009 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Also, Ahab never kills Moby Dick. Moby Dick toasts them all, sinks the ship, and Ahab drowns. Ishmael is saved by a floating coffin. The lone survivor, he is the one to tell the tale.

November 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there really is a heaven.... there will be millions and millions of dogs there.... and not a single cat.

POUNDS

November 18, 2009 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger HarveyMidnight said...

Seriously, Stallion-- you should read Moby Dick. And not just because of some lofty, hoitey-toitey reason like "because it's a classic" or some-such. It's a genuinely good novel! It's funny, it's unique, it's intense...

November 18, 2009 at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home