My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Sunday, August 19, 2007

A Religious Treatise

A Sunday blog entry requires some deep religious treatise, which calls to mind my Mormon missionary days in the land of Scotland lo these many years ago. I was training a new missionary in the paradise known as Drumchapel, a Glasgow slum where a guy sold drugs out of his sweetie van and the nighttime sky was aglow with flames from burning cars in the middle of the street. Needless to say, it was a pretty rough area, and the church building was right in the worse part of town. Missionaries dreaded being assigned to “the Drum,” and the office had even changed the name of the area to soften the blow of being condemned to the gulag of the Scotland Edinburgh Mission. It turned out to be no worse than any other place in Scotland. Now matter where I was, the omnipresent rain always soaked me to the bone as I knocked on doors for ten to twelve hours a day. It wasn’t really that cold, but I was always wet, so there was no way to truly keep warm.

One day, my companion and I were invited in to the home of a church member after a long day of slogging through the streets, and he let us sit next to his freshly lit coal fire in the living room. It was fairly late in the day, and the stifling warmth of the room was intoxicating. It also made it next to impossible for me to keep my eyes open. We sat and listened patiently as he rambled on and on about something or other, and my mind started to wander. He wasn’t expecting either of us to speak, which was a welcome relief, but I also started to panic as my eyelids started to droop, and once the drooping begins, there’s no way to snap back into full consciousness. There are some techniques that produce some positive results, like tightening your sphincter as hard as you can, but their effects are only temporary. I struggled valiantly to stay alert, but I knew it was a lost cause. I’m not sure if I nodded off completely, but at some point in the middle of the conversation, I felt it necessary to make the following announcement:

“I have a cousin with Down’s Syndrome.”

I said this apropos of nothing, interrupting the church member in mid ramble. Everyone in the room stopped and looked at me, which startled me back into the real world. My companion was aghast. I was aghast. It was an entirely inappropriate thing to say, and I wasn’t, at the time, even sure if it was true.

But, on the plus side, at least I was wide awake.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haggis on a cold plate.
Anthracite glow.
Oafish gale attention.

August 19, 2007 at 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do LDS Mission dudes get their white shirts so incredibly white? The world does not possess chlorine and hot irons, in sufficient quantity, to explain.

Wht's the secret?

August 19, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

Ha- Very funny.

MY brother in law, spent his mission there- *Smile*

This made ms smile-

August 19, 2007 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

My mission shirts were far from white. They were this faded greay color from being washed together with my dark socks every P-day.

August 19, 2007 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion Cornell, can you ever forgive me?

August 19, 2007 at 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think you do have a cousin with Down's Syndrome.

August 20, 2007 at 9:35 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Now this made me laugh harder than I have in a very long time. Thanks.

October 9, 2007 at 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home