My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Missing Langy

A fellow Languatron opponent reminded me of this video recently, and it made me laugh anew. I made this sometime last year, and it’s not nearly as a waste of time as it seems at first glance. That’s not to say it wasn’t a waste of time at all, but it was my first foray into film editing and Flash animation, and both skills have served me well in the interim, so making this stupid little thing has proven to be helpful to my career. How’s that for rationalization?

Anyway…

If you’re just discovering the lunacy that is Langy, then some background is necessary. It is axiomatic that Languatron is shunned by decent people everywhere. When he shows up at an Internet bulletin board, he is summarily booted off of said board as soon as the moderators are accused of being corporate shills of Universal Studios and/or gay.

So, sometime in either 2005 or 2006, Lang hit upon a solution: he would start his own board. And he would be the only member. He was the only one allowed yo post or comment. He would post a topic, respond to his own messages and carry on lengthy conversation with himself.

To make this scenario even more ludicrous, Languatron would comb through his visitor logs and block the board from being seen by anyone who had previously visited it. Why? Because if you wanted to read Langy’s board, you were obviously a Universal Studios executive trying to spy on him! Eventually, to cut to the chase, he made it so only registered users could view his board. Since he was the board’s only registered user, only he could see his posts.

Languatron effectively disappeared.

The board, by the way, is still there. At the time of this writing, it had “1004 Posts in 765 Topics by 1 Members - Latest Member: languatron.” He may still be writing there, for all I know.

Once Langy was gone, I was surprised by how much I missed him. So I prepared this movie as a tribute to his legacy – and also to bug the hell out of him. The movie touches on much of his celebrated history, including his tortured grasp of the English language, his battles with five posters he termed the “Flatulent Five,” and his infamous bet with RGrant that got him booted from the Cylon.org board.

Summing up: it’s pretty stupid.

Click here to watch it. I've tried to embed it, but I keep having problems.

Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your genes flow in my children's blood. I'm afraid. Very afraid.

September 8, 2007 at 7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you've reunited with Languatron, don't you think it's long overdue for a sequel?

September 9, 2007 at 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home