My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Lonely at the Top

So nobody wants to read a blog post about the intricacies of Utah voucher legislation.

Fine.

Instead, here is a blog post with a vampire in it. He is not a mega gay vampire like the kind that live in Forks, Washington and make moony eyes at teenage girls when they should be sucking their blood. I’m talking about a real, hard-core vampire, a kick-butt, take no prisoners kind of vampire who really knows how to rock.

Keith Richards.

Now I have no proof that Keith is an actual vampire. But I do know that he’s undead. He no longer has an ounce of his own blood. I don’t what that stuff is that runs through his collapsed veins nowadays – some combination of smack and prune juice, most likely – but he’s definitely not alive in the same sense that, say Oprah Winfrey or Jeff Goldblum is alive. He’s not even alive in the way that Elvis is alive, because people still believe Elvis is alive, but nobody who looks at Keef can possibly think he is alive, even though Elvis is buried and Keith isn't, although he probably should be.

Keith is really my favorite Rolling Stone; indeed, the only Stone that matters. When I was doing the show Fame with the Kids of the Century, who I have mentioned previously, everyone’s parents bought ad space to say “Good luck!” to their children in the program. My parents didn't. Instead, I took out a full page ad with a picture of Keith Richards that said “Good luck, Keith,” because I figured if anyone needed good luck, it was Keith Richards.

I mean, look at him. He needed it then, and he definitely needs it now.



The ad cost eighty dollars, which was pretty much my annual salary back then. It was still worth it.

I really didn’t discover the Stones until late into my teens. Initially, it wasn’t Keith who interested me – it was Mick. I first saw Mick Jagger perform at Live Aid on July 13, 1985.

This is exactly what it looked like:



I was mesmerized. He was a huge hit, despite being the ugliest, strangest thing I had ever seen. (Keith, incidentally, performed at Live Aid, too. He dropped his acoustic guitar on the ground right in the middle of "Blowing in the Wind." Seriously, if I didn't know better, I'd have said he was drunk.)

Anyway, when I saw Mick prancing about, I was exceedingly heartened, because I knew, instantly, that I had finally found a worthy role model for my own boogie skills. See, I’ve never been much of a dancer.

Actually, that’s being kind. I’m a wretched, horrific dancer.

In all my singing-and-dancing stuff growing up, they always used me as scenery, like a tree or something. As one choreographer put it, when it comes to my dancing, there just aren’t enough back rows.

But on July 13, 1985, in front of the whole world, there was Mick Jagger, flailing like some kind of epileptic eel, and everyone was eating it up. Why couldn’t I do that?

Well, I could. And I did. And I do.

It makes my mother cry.

Back in the 80s, Calabasas High School had a lip-synching contest every year. People dressed up as their favorite rock bands, moved their lips along with the records, and then got their friends to applaud wildly. The top three applause getters got to do an encore, and then a final round of applause determined the winner after that.

Well, I entered the contest as Mick Jagger. Just me. Solo.

This is exactly what I looked like.


Everyone else had a fake band behind them, which means they had enough friends to pack the house and get enough applause to win, or at least to get an encore. Heck, the whole CHS Football Team sang some kind of Dream Team rap that sucked out loud, but they got way more applause than anyone else just by sheer numbers of football groupies.

So I didn’t win. But, miraculously, I got an encore.

I started out with a song from Mick’s then-recently released solo album, She’s the Boss. My first number was a hardcore, straight ahead rock-and-roller called "Lonely at the Top," the tune Mick opened with at Live Aid. I was dressed just as he was back then, and, like him, I flung my shirt here, there, and everywhere. I flailed and ran and boogied and strutted and rooster-tailed, gesticulated, reticulated and granulated my way to just enough applause to get the number three encore slot.

And it was in the encore where I had my true brush with infamy.

I picked, as my encore, a ballad from She’s the Boss called "Hard Woman." In rehearsal, the teacher in charge of the event told me I was making a big mistake, because nobody singing a ballad had ever won the Lip Synch Contest. I told him to stuff it. I knew what I was doing.

Here's how it went down.

I started out on stage in the fetal position, curled into a ball like a flower ready to bloom.

And the music began to play.

“She’s a… HARD WOMAN to puhlease… And I thawt uhbout lettin’ her knu-ow…”

I reached, ever so gracefully, upward, upward, like a dying swan wilting in the noonday sun…

“She’s a… TUFF LADAH tah LEAVE… And I thawt uhbout lettin’ her gu-o…”

I was billowing now, all atwitter, fluttering in the imaginary breeze, yearning, soaring, or perhaps suffering some sort of seizure…

“She’s a HARD LADAH…TUFF COOKAH… AH GOT TA SAY GOODBAH…”

On my feet now. Reaching. Pleading. Flarging. Mincing with all my might.

And peeling off my purple unitard.

Did I mention I was wearing a purple unitard? Well, I was. I had thrown off all my other clothes in my first number. The unitard was all that was left.

But not for long.

I peeled it down to my shoulders.

The crowd went wild.

“I’m uhLOWN at LAYAYAST… But SOMETHIN’ INSIDE UH ME KNOWOWS… I coulda LOVED IN VEYN FOR A THOWSIN’ YEAUHS… I HAD TO LET HERRRR GU-OWWW!”

The air was electric. I was no dummy; I knew what they wanted.

So I peeled it down to my chest.

Pandemonium.

The girls all shrieked! (I like to think it was out of delight, not horror.)

Then I peeled it down to my stomach.

Then to my waist.

And then... and then...

It was pure bedlam. How low could I go? They were putty in my hands. And I was taunting. Always taunting. Do you want to see more? Will I pull it down lower? Will I? WILL I?

WILL I?

No.

I had probably gone too far as it was. They told me afterward that if I’d peeled it down another inch, they’d have turned the lights out on me.

Still, the crowd went nuts. But they went more nuts for the stupid football team, so, sadly, I didn’t win the actual contest. But I think I won a moral victory.

I’ve imitated Mick countless times since then, including at several church functions. Most recently, my Stake President – a bigtime church leader, for those of you non-Mormons out there – watched me sing “Start Me Up” at our stake’s annual Family Fun Day. Don't worry - I changed the last line about what the girl can make a dead man do in order to accommodate Mormon community standards. My stake president seemed to be having a good time until he stormed out in disgust when I made a little rooster tail behind my bum with my fingers. I wasn’t quite sure why that was so offensive.

So I performed it for my family, and my mother told me that the whole thing was offensive, and that it had always been offensive. (Surprisingly, she didn't cry. But she probably wanted to.)

I'm very versatile - I can imitate Keith Richards, too. (That doesn't seem to be as popular.) I also don’t strip very much in public anymore. I’ve been blessed with a body that no one will pay to see naked. But so has Mick Jagger, and he still does it, so I don’t know what I’m so worried about.

If Keith starts stripping, though, we should all be worried.

20 Comments:

Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

And peeling off my purple unitard...

Wow. This blog certainly is All Gay, All The Time.

And there's the infamous whiter-than-white Missionary oxford shirt. The LDS is probably using 10% of the world's available chlorine supply each year.

October 23, 2007 at 6:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was promised vampires and you give me a zombie.

Still, I had this impression that Mormons were uptight and boring from the cradle to the grave, you've certainly dispelled that notion Mr Bennett.

Or are you just some sort of Mormon rebel?

Apart from the mention of Fame, today's entry was certainly the straightest it's been in a while.

Dude, I said entry. Huh...

October 23, 2007 at 6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was there a Liger on the purple unitard?

"You said tard...Ahuh huh huh hu...m-mm yeah!"

October 23, 2007 at 6:54 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

You know, yesterday's entry was straighter than straight. It was all the comments that gayed the whole thing up.

Whereas today Peter says "today's entry was certainly the straightest it's been in a while," while the spacy anonymous guy says "This blog certainly is All Gay, All The Time."

Make up your minds, people!

October 23, 2007 at 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you use a school voucher at Hogwarts?

October 23, 2007 at 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the memories!

Wendy

October 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures... You may want to consider an herbal Hemorrhoid Treatment.

Or tell Dumbledore to put his wand elsewhere.

October 23, 2007 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Wasn't it your much SMALLER sister's unitard? On a 6'4" rail thin guy, it was completely indecent (though definitely NOT Mega-Gay, or even Super-Gay).

And for all those who believe leadership is stuffy, you neglected to mention that you were Senior Class President while this episode was occurring.

October 23, 2007 at 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Wasn't it your much SMALLER sister's unitard? On a 6'4" rail thin guy, it was completely indecent (though definitely NOT Mega-Gay, or even Super-Gay)."

6'4" guy in an undersize girl's unitard?

Not gay? Sounds kinda gay. There are many colors in the gay spectrum.

How about Swan Lake Gay or Nutcracker Gay?

October 23, 2007 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 23, 2007 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Remember when Mick Jagger pranced...er jumped... around the LA Coliseum stage for the Tattoo You tour in football pants? It was more like Mick Jagger Gay, which is to say, not gay at all.

October 23, 2007 at 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mick Jagger - football pants, is that pre-David Bowie or post?

October 23, 2007 at 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, after today, I'm seeing the vouchers post in a new light, even though it had numbers in it and stuff.

I've cogitated on SC doing his Mick Jagger routine, and although he has the good taste to prefer the Stones over The Beatles, who, after all his said and done, are vastly overrated – nothing can quite rid me of the image of SC still doing his Jagger routine as he edges towards his 40th birthday.

I think I've been mentally scarred and if I wasn't several thousand miles away I'd be seeking damages!

October 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is the problem. Calling something gay does not involve sexual orientation just a person’s comfort level.

If you would be embarrassed doing it, you can call it gay.

Wearing a unitard…not homosexual but SLIGHTLY gay.
Making out with a guy (and you’re a guy)…homosexual and not gay.

Unless someone is wearing a unitard
or the other guy is not cute
or if your not a homosexual.

October 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Bowie is gay, but not in the homosexual way.

October 23, 2007 at 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mick Jagger is sorta gay, but definitely not homosexual gay.

October 23, 2007 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

The unitard was belonged to Kim M.'s mother. And I lost it. I ended up having to go and buy a new one for her.

The Beatles rock. It's John Lennon who is overrated - McCartney is a genius.

All the Mick/David Bowie stuff was much ado about nothing. Mick is straight, unless he's seriously drugged up.

October 23, 2007 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

This entire blog is seriously Mega-Gay. What's the topic for tomorrow? Gladiator movies? Or more Bette Midler movies?

October 23, 2007 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tomorrow's entry is nude Greco-Roman wrestling.

October 23, 2007 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

SC said...'Whereas today Peter says "today's entry was certainly the straightest it's been in a while," while the spacy anonymous guy says "This blog certainly is All Gay, All The Time." Make up your minds, people!'

anononymous said...'If you would be embarrassed doing it, you can call it gay.'


SC... you wrote a VERY gay posting today about some mostly straight guys (with a *wink* to David Bowie).

And the Vampire part was an unfair teaser. Don't tell us... tomorrow's posting will have ALIENS! in it, but just the kind from Afghanistan, not the kind from Uranus.

October 23, 2007 at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home