My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

DC Memories

I have lived seven of my thirty-nine years in or near our nation’s capitol. Of course, six of those years were the first six, as I was born in the District of Columbia at the long-forgotten Columbia Hospital for Women. That was always a source of embarrassment for me, as being born in a woman’s hospital made me feel unmanly. I have since come to terms with it, though. Really, it’s cool. It’s still awkward on public forms when I have to fill in the city and state in which I was born, since I wasn’t born in a state. Now I know how babies born in leap year feel. (I don’t know what that means.)

We moved to California shortly after my sixth birthday, and I didn’t return to DC until a family vacation in 1993. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I was able to remember – about the landscape, about the people, about everything. I had a very clear memory of walking home from church and having my father explain to me that people sweat in the wintertime, too. I refer to this as the pivotal “Sweat Discourse.” I could probably reproduce it if I wanted to, but I don’t want to, and neither do you.

After I got married in ’94, I lived in DC with my new bride for nine months before heading back to Jackson Hole to launch the second season of the Grand Teton Mainstage Theatre. I spent several months as an intern for Senator Alan K. Simpson of Wyoming, who taught me two very important life lessons:

1. Hatred corrodes the container it’s carried in.

And, more importantly:

2. Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

I returned to Washington in 1999 when I accepted a position as a Senior Associate at Burson-Marsteller, an international public relations firm. What I didn’t realize was that the client I had been hired to represent – Iridium Satellite Phones – had gone bankrupt a few days before I arrived. So I had a cushy little cubicle on K Street and, literally, nothing to do. It was then that I started surfing the Internet to kill time and sought out information on a nascent Battlestar Galactica revival. If it weren’t for Burson-Marsteller, Languatron and I would never have met. That sounds gross. I should take it back, but the truth stands, despite my best attempts to, you know, not let it stand.

Anyway, I got a job offer back in Utah that matched my salary, so I left after three months. So I can say that I’ve worked in DC for a full year, separated by more than half a decade.

I love DC. I love the monuments, especially all lit up at night. The cherry blossoms in the spring around the Jefferson Memorial are something everyone needs to see before they die. I love reading the Washington Post and, when nobody’s looking, the Washington Times. I love the public transportation system, which is clean and efficient and actually gets you to useful places. I’ve toured the White House and the Capitol – I was actually a semi-official Capitol Tour Guide when I worked in Sen. Simpson’s office – and I could wander through the Smithsonian all day long – and have. As much as I get disgusted with the current political scene, I see the Washington Monument or that big old Lincoln dude and I realize the country’s probably going to pull through.

That’s reassuring, because our next president is really going to suck.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

>>That’s reassuring, because our next president is really going to suck.


And that will be different from - when, exactly?

(Love D.C., too)

March 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"as being born in a woman’s hospital made me feel unmanly"

That explains you love of the musical.

March 4, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Next time you come, call us up, and we WILL pop up. We can't quite swing it this week, but give us some advance notice, and we'll come to part-ay.

And seriously, there is nothing prettier in the world than Virginia/DC in the spring.

March 5, 2008 at 7:07 AM  
Blogger Papa D said...

"That’s reassuring, because our next president is really going to suck."

Amen, brother. Amen.

March 5, 2008 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you name a time when you ever felt manly?

March 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When he sang the lumberjack song...

March 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackson Hole.

Dude!

March 5, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home