My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Report

So I spent most of the long weekend in Los Angeles, as it was my uncle’s 80th birthday party. I lived with this aunt and uncle for several years while I attended the University of Southern California, and I consider them my surrogate parents. They have the same address where I lived lo these many years ago, but they’ve torn down the house and built a new, palatial estate in its place about five years back, and it still takes some getting used to. My uncle was once fond of saying they lived in the “white trash” section of Bel Air – they bought one of several tract houses in the area back in the Sixties. I think they paid something like 70 grand for it. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the property is worth considerably more than that now.

I flew down on JetBlue with my oldest daughter, Cleta, who, like me, enjoyed the personal TV screens and the flight into Burbank Airport instead of LAX, which was constructed using hell’s original blueprints.

The party was nothing but fun, except for Cleta, who fell asleep during the slideshow while sitting at a table. She’s not all that fond of reminiscing with people she doesn’t know. As for me, I was in heaven. I saw a picture of myself from the summer of ’77, wherein I was sporting a Star Wars t-shirt, a flyaway bowl cut, and a massive, pre-orthodontic overbite. Good times.

I also got into a series of political discussions, which I handed off to my sister, who argued with my cousin’s boyfriend about whether or not it’s appropriate for the US to sit down and negotiate with Hamas. I sided with Sis, but the opposition insisted that we Americans need to be more flexible and understanding. I didn’t say this, but I wonder if these open-minded folks would be willing to wear burqas to make our enemies feel better.

I quickly decided I hated politics, but not before concluding that our country is doomed.

We then took a series of family pictures, which may be more excruciating than most political discussions. I’m pretty sure that hell is exactly like LAX, except that everyone is being forced to pose for a family picture every fifteen minutes.

I didn’t have time to visit my myriad of friends and family in LA who didn’t attend the party, although I did pass by Universal City and thought of posing in front of the Black Tower and sending the shots to one Andrew Fullen of Chicago, Illinois. Languatron, you’ll be pleased to know that my uncle is, in fact, a former studio executive – at Fox, though, not Universal - and a personal friend of Glen A. Larson, although apparently not close enough to have Mr. Larson show up to his shindig. However, since Mr. Fullen presumes that I am Mr. Larson, my uncle accepted me as a suitable surrogate.

I came home and Mrs. Cornell informed me that Stalliondo was now potty trained, which worked out well until last night, when he crapped into his diaperless pajamas.

Not so good times.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mike Kingsley said...

Yes, I can vouch that you are not Mr. Larson, because he is in fact my father in law. I was speaking to Glen about these internet rumors lately (when we last saw him a few weeks ago) - because he is not really into the whole internet thing...he has a secretary check email for him. Anyway he though it was weird that people were claiming to be him, and claiming to know who he was online. Who is your uncle? I wonder if I have heard the name before? Plus I was reading a previous post that you taught James for awhile in Seminary?! What a hoot! Shoot me an email and I can give you an update on that.

May 27, 2008 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Potty trained? Really? How exciting. I wish I could have gone to the party. Sounds fun.

May 27, 2008 at 11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess the poop in the diaperless jammies didn't save anyone's life, huh? Bummer, would have been a great blog.

It was a great party and we loved seeing Cleta even if she was bored.

May 27, 2008 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Papa D said...

Potty training, like repentance and exaltation, is a long, slow process - and includes crappy moments along the way.

May 27, 2008 at 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you and Langy have a good time in those pajamas.

SM

May 27, 2008 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

I didn’t say this, but I wonder if these open-minded folks would be willing to wear burqas to make our enemies feel better. I quickly decided I hated politics, but not before concluding that our country is doomed.

Yes, it's pretty depressing when 1/2 the country thinks making our enemies like us is the solution to a 1400 year old totalitarian religious/political threat.

May 28, 2008 at 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home