My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Friday, May 9, 2008

Things My Wife Finds Interesting

John McCain, standard bearer for the Republican Party, is going to go on a “climate change tour!” Isn’t that great? (Kill me now.)

My wife thinks yesterday’s post is boring – and it seems many of you agree – so she wants me to talk about Iron Man, my sexuality, or whether or not I know how to sweep a floor. I find it interesting – perhaps frightening? – that my wife wants me to talk about my sexuality, but I think it’s because I told her that the posts that got the most comments were the ones where I denied I was gay. So I will deny it again – I’m not gay, people! - and see how many comments I get.

I’m happy to talk about Iron Man, though. It’s easily the best movie of the summer, and I can say that conclusively without having seen anything else. I’ve never been much of a Robert Downey Jr. fan – I’ve always found him smug and self-satisfied and little bit too much like the spoiled rich kids I grew up with at Calabasas High. So believe me when I say that Downey is flawless in this film. I used to think Tobey Maguire was the best comic book character come to life, but Downey is the quintessential Tony Stark – before and after his crisis of conscience, which surprised me. The line between Stark and Downey is blurry in the beginning, as both are self-absorbed, substance abusing idiots, but what surprised me is that Downey made the transition from Self-Absorbed Doofus to Decent Guy without any effort. This flick also the strongest opening sequence of any superhero movie in memory, and it’s easily the most character driven. You don’t mind that the complete Iron Man costume doesn’t show up until the last act of the film.

I know that “character driven” is usually synonymous with “boring,” something Iron Man definitely is not. Jeff Bridges’ perfect baddie sees to that. It’s no accident that this is the first movie that Marvel has made with its own money, because it’s slavishly true to its comic book roots. This gives me higher hopes for the Incredible Hulk, which I now want to see, whereas before I did not.

And I know that by dubbing Iron Man the best movie of the summer, I’m stepping on Indiana Jones’ toes, yet several reviews have started appearing for the 4th Indy flick, and they’re not all that positive. One I particularly like is over at AintItCoolNews, and it’s brilliantly written, although I can state with some level of certainty that the reviewer did not see the film and is just yanking everyone’s chain. But why would anyone want to review a movie they haven’t seen and try to sneak said review on to a major movie website? And why would they give Indiana Jones a bad review when they really, really want the movie not to suck? Maybe it’s just to lower expectations so that no one’s disappointed. Maybe it’s just the thrill of pulling a fast one. Or maybe it’s because the author is, like me, a jerk.

Back to the gay thing. My wife and I were talking about a friend of hers who was very effeminate, but probably not gay. I asked her if I was even remotely effeminate, because I really don’t think I am.

“No, you’re not effeminate,” she said. “But you’re very nerdy.” And to that I plead guilty.

I also can’t sweep a floor to save my life.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don’t forget there is a whole hierocracy of geekdom. Which can be considered different level’s of g*y.

Star Trek and Star Wars fans are at the top and therefore more mainstream (less g*y). The bottom has Dr Who (Tom Baker) or Dungeons & Dragons fans (Take your pick).

Then there is the whole drama & Musical thing, American Idol, Desperate Housewives, Lifetime movies, anvil sales etc.

Personally I didn’t find yesterday’s post that boring. It triggered a lot of interweb research.

May 9, 2008 at 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You deny being gay, yet you admit to checking out Tony Stark's iron tights all in the same post.

May 9, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been engaged for 20 years and not once have you tried to "seal the deal".

You're gay.

May 9, 2008 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

You're a slob. You're not gay.

May 9, 2008 at 1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snobbishness is a very good defense…Err, Unless you’re a “bear”.

May 9, 2008 at 2:01 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

If I tried to "seal the deal," I can think of at least one cop who's more buff than I am who would pund me into the ground.

My wife might be bugged, too.

May 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would it be the cop from the village people? I hear the Indian pretty buff also.

Whould he be wearing Iron Man's Codpiece when he did his punding?

May 9, 2008 at 5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Checking out buff cops. That's bad.

May 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I second The Wiz. Gay people don't dump their underwear in the living room and walk up the stairs naked while living with 9 other people, only 2 of whom he is related to.

May 9, 2008 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

I spent my friday night installing Fedora 8 and testing upgrades to Fedora 9...

I don't, however, enjoy Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica.

Where does that leave me on the geek scale?

May 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you liked Iron Man- we're going to the drive-in tonight with all the kids. It's less scary there.

I was around during the gnarling years. I'm pretty sure you're not gay.

May 9, 2008 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Papa D said...

Gay or not, Heather's comment gave me an image I definitely don't need.

My sons agree with your assessment of Iron Man.

May 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Ah sweeping.... I can personally vouch that SC does not sweep in any organized manner. Sweeping in circles is an appropriate description. After all, we were co-sanitation engineers for a few months in the summer of '87.

Regarding SC's sexuality, he is, in the end I believe, a slob but not gay. Having shared a room, and occasionally a bed, with SC, I can attest for his complete and utter non-gayness.

May 9, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

You have to go back to the sharing a bed thing, don't you? Like I don't have enough problems already!

May 10, 2008 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Ikarus said...

I was wondering why Iron Man stuck closer to the character's roots than most Marvel based movies.

Now I know.

May 10, 2008 at 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo, he tried to "seal the deal" with a cop?

What about the police pooch? doesn't he get some too?

May 13, 2008 at 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home