My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Friday, May 30, 2008

Stallion: The Early Years

I think I discovered that acting was a cool thing to do somewhere around the age of nine or ten. It was at summer school, and I auditioned for the production of “Really Rosie,” in which I played a monkey. I got to wear monkey ears and everything. The highlight was when I got to solo on one verse of the song “Chicken Soup with Rice,” and I even remember the words:

In August it will be so hot
That I’ll become a cooking pot
Cooking soup, of course, why not?
Cooking once, cooking twice
Cooking chicken soup with rice.

I must have done something right, because one thing led to another, and before I knew it, I was cast as the lead in the next big kiddie production of Harry Nillson’s The Point, playing “Oblio the Weirdio,” the only person in the whole village who didn’t have a sharp point growing out of the top of his head. Because of my mutant status, I was banished from the town, and, at one point, I had to bid a tearful goodbye to my parents as I left them forever.

That’s where the story gets interesting.

The script called for me to shake my father’s hand, say “Goodbye, father,” and then say “Goodbye, mother,” and take her in a fond embrace. Except the girl who played my mother was just about my age, and she was short and dumpy looking. I can’t remember anything about her as a human being; I only remember she was fat.

And I refused to compromise my star status by hugging a fat person.

Actually, I think it was more complicated than that. I wasn’t all that comfortable hugging anyone – I’m still not a touchy/feely guy by nature – and hugging a girl would have been about five bases farther than I’d ever gone with any other girl before. There was another cutie who I had hoped would get cast as my mother and be my first-time real hug, but I think I would have balked at getting that intimate with her, too, out of sheer embarrassment. But hugging a chubby gal would have somehow given the impression that I liked her, and would probably have been the equivalent of getting married. It was a major commitment I was too young to make. So I opened negotiations on the subject by bursting into tears and stomping off in a huff and swearing that I wanted to quit, that I wanted to go home, that I didn’t want to have anything to do with this stupid old play anyway.

What a weenie.

The director finally called me at home when he thought of a suitable compromise. I was to take the girl by both of her hands, in a very grand and formal gesture, and I could forgo the hugging. I wasn’t crazy about this, but it kept her at arm’s length, and it wouldn’t make its way into the tabloids.

As I recall this unseemly event at the beginning of my career, I can’t help but feel sympathy for tha girl, but even more for the director. I wonder what he told that poor gal. I hope he didn’t say, “Stallion doesn’t want to hug a lardo.” And I hope the lardo in question has gone on to live a happy and healthy life, regardless of her dress size.

I hope my loved ones won’t feel funny about hugging me now that I’m equally tubby.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids can be cruel (we’ve all been on both sides). I still feel bad for the girl. Not the best thing for someone’s self esteem.

I am a big believer in Karma. Not in the religious context, but as a principle. Your actions follow you long after the memory fades.

May 30, 2008 at 7:48 AM  
Blogger James A. Howard said...

Just how tubby can a Cornell really get? Do you have any recent online photos for the benefit of your old acquaintances?

May 30, 2008 at 8:24 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Stallion has posted many photos of himself and his family on this blog. Seek and ye shall find, know and it shall be opened unto you.

May 30, 2008 at 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He posts some of his later photos under the pen name Andrew Fullen.

May 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Lardo. Don't come near me this summer. I don't want your fatty cooties.

May 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, once again, I'm going to have to say - if you're going to waste your time on this blog, then pleeease make it either interesting or funny. The fat thing has run its course. Remember that episode of Scrubs where the only people who are laughing are the people who have to? Well, I for one am past that. So write something funny or get your hugs from somewhere else.

May 30, 2008 at 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any funny Landru stories?
Brushes with Shatner?
The first time you ate Haggis?
Stupidest thing you did on a date?

May 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Ah yes, well, I remember the lyrics to a play I wasn't in! Heather had to sing this, and she sang it so constantly that it is now stuck in my consciousness forever. Junior high years.

Golden Monkey, hear us,
From your paradise.
Bring your spirit near us,
Claim this sacrifice.

She, for me too spunky.
Come now, Golden Monkey,
Come......take her off my hands.

May 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe that dumpy girl grew up and became the president of the Sci-Fi Channel. She found her revenge on you by greenlighting a horrible remake of a favorite show of yours from your childhood.

Stallion, if you had hugged Bonnie Hammer there would be no GINO.

May 30, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God just phoned on the 11 line, he said, eat your soup, and put some wild in your rice.



SM

May 30, 2008 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger James A. Howard said...

...write something funny or get your hugs from somewhere else.

Mrs. Cornell? Is that really you? I am so pleased to hear from you.

Like you I smile compassionately at what I read from our mutual friend. And though I have not seen him in 12 years I can certify that he is essentially the same suave and supercilious stallion with whom I was pleased to became acquainted way back in 1979.

You, on the other hand, are still a delightful unknown. I am sure that the tales you've accumulated about your beloved would be genuinely fun. Someday, perhaps.

May 30, 2008 at 7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion needs his wife to defend him. What a fatty gaywad.

May 30, 2008 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

wouldn't hug a girl??!!?? you were one damaged child!

May 31, 2008 at 5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mrs.cornell, i'am neither interesting nor funny. but i do have an interesting eye twitch, and my dog has the runs.

June 2, 2008 at 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home