My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Friday, September 5, 2008

McCain's Speech

I watched pieces of it - as much as I could stomach. Most of it was preempted by Back to School Night and a meeting with my kids' piano teacher. Then there was a discussion with my son about his challenges in school. Apparently, John McCain wants to be a part of that - he's going to "fight for me" on the education front.

Here's the thing - I don't want John McCain to fight for me.

No, that's not true. I want him to make sure that America's military is killing people and breaking things in order to keep the country secure. Beyond that, I want him to leave me the heck alone. I don't want him messing with education or "corruption" - i.e. free speech - or global warming or any other pet project that captures his fancy on any given day. I don't want his compromise judges to "fight for the little guy" by rewriting the Constitution to reflect the latest political fads. Yes, I respect a man who underwent five years of torture on behalf of this country. I'll give him all the accolades he can possibly imagine. But he's demonstrated time and again that he shouldn't be given real responsibility to set policy for the nation.

And here's the thing, John - I don't want to end the partisan rancor in Washington. It should grow louder and louder as long as the other guys insist on being wrong. I don't want everyone to get along. I want my side to win. In order for everyone to get along, someone has to back down. That's what Beavis is going to do in the name of "fighting" for America. I don't want to meet global warming kooks halfway and spend only two trillion on junk science instaed of four trillion. I don't want free speech limited just a little bit less during campaign seasons. I don't want judges who are acceptable to enough lefties that they'll only be slightly less tyrannical.

I want a strong military, good highways, and judges who follow instructions. I want to be taxed at the bare minimum of what it takes to make that happen. Then I want Washington to butt out of my life and let me fight the good fight without their meddling.

That's why I'm going to vote for a dead guy.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That's why I'm going to vote for a dead guy."
Just remember, you won’t be able to say boo about anything the other guy does (if he gets in).
You'll just have to sit there and take it. Like a good little boy.
Now when you’re finished with your tantrum dinner will be at 6.

September 5, 2008 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Dinner's at 6? What are we having?

And I'll have to sit there and take it regardless of who wins.

Look, I live in Utah. My electoral votes have already been pledged to the Republican Party in perpetuity. If I were in a state where it might matter, I might grit my teeth and cast my ballot for the lesser of two evils. But here, where I have the luxury of making no difference, I refuse to give my support to a loathsome candidate.

September 5, 2008 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well at least vote for Bob BArr then, sheesh.

September 5, 2008 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Bob Barr's a turd.

September 5, 2008 at 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in the Bluest of the Blue States (Mass). There are less Republicans (as a %) here, than there are Registered Democrats in Utah. My vote means nothing.
I agree a little bit with the first poster. Even though my vote doesn't mean much, it’s still mine, and I want to be able to look at a Politician and at least say "I voted against him".

September 5, 2008 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

OK, granted. But I want to vote against both Barack Obama and John McCain.

September 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a point. As long as the libs don’t rewrite the Constitution and remove the Electoral College.

Mitt/Palin would have been great. Of course, next time, that ticket could be backwards (although I don't see Mitt as a 2nd banana type of guy).

September 5, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd rather vote for a dead man than a turd then?

September 5, 2008 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger John Larocque said...

You might appreciate this. Mitt still says he is outside the conservative mainstream.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/04/AR2008090403532.html

That bit about voting for a turd reminded me of the South Park episode where they get to choose between a turd and a... and there's a fake Puff Daddy video "Vote or Die" which eearily predicted his "Obama or Die" moment at some music awards and his latest inanity ("Alaska... Alaska?")

September 5, 2008 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Yes. Dead guy over turd.

And Mitt is right.

September 5, 2008 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you explain why the dead guy is better than the turd?

September 5, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

No.

September 5, 2008 at 1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even Palin's snot is hot. I kid you not.

September 5, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

"Look, I live in Utah. My electoral votes have already been pledged to the Republican Party in perpetuity. If I were in a state where it might matter, I might grit my teeth and cast my ballot for the lesser of two evils. But here, where I have the luxury of making no difference, I refuse to give my support to a loathsome candidate."

This mentality makes no sense to me.

If you are only willing to "take a stand" when your vote doesn't mean anything, are you really taking a stand?

Of course not. You are proving nothing to the GOP. While you might want to protest the nomination of a guy who isn't very conservative, you are only saying, "I will NOT support the nominee!!!....unless of course my vote matters, in which case you can count on me on election day."

If it makes you feel better, more power to you. But you aren't making any kind of statement at all. Not to the GOP. And not to yourself.

(Sorry for the rant....but I've heard this line of reasoning too many times, and each time it seems silly.)

ACC

September 5, 2008 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

It is silly. But what's the alternative? I don't want Obama and the Dems to think they can peddle their crap and get my vote, either.

Granted, it's a minor, completely irrelevant protest. But in good conscience, I can't bring myself to vote for either candidate. So what do you propose I should do?

September 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

If you knew your vote actually mattered, you would vote for McCain/Palin (I think that's what you've said).

So, I suggest you vote for McCain/Palin.

Why? Because I don't like the principle of not taking our vote seriously, even if our vote really won't make a difference.

I would feel differently if NOT voting for McCain/Palin made any kind of statement. But since it doesn't, there is nothing to be lost in just voting for the least undesirable candidate.....even if it "won't matter."

So, in answer to your question, I suggest you just plug your nose and vote for McCain/Palin....just out of principle. And if, in order to get to sleep at night, you need to tell yourself that you are really voting AGAINST Obama/Biden, that's fine, too.

Just my 2 cents.

September 6, 2008 at 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McCain's secret weapon has been deployed, nice to have Patreus for Chief of Staff.

I always wanted my cherry on top.

SM

September 7, 2008 at 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am writing in StallionCornell on my ballot. It may not be for president, but I am writing him in somewhere.

September 7, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home