My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Monday, December 1, 2008

Driver's Ed

POUNDS’ questions from my last entry got me reminiscing about my many academic sins, and I now regret accusing my Driver’s Ed teacher of being a lush. True, he had that reputation, so I ran with it in the previous post, but I have no proof that such was the case. All I know was that the dude was practically comatose throughout class, and nobody learned a damn thing from him. Although I took it upon myself to occasionally liven things up. The only time I actually got the teacher’s attention was when I started going “vroom vroom” and then proceeded to drive my desk around the room.

He kicked me out of class that day. SOOOO worth it.

Driver’s Ed brought out the worst in me. The family discussed this over Thanksgiving, too, and my mother decided that I got along great with teachers I respected and then went out of my way to make life a living hell for the rest of them. There is some truth in that statement, although it ignores the fact that at one time or another, every one of those teachers I loathed ended up subbing in Driver’s Ed.

My brother recalled the time that Coach Moriarty filled in for McLeish. I didn’t know Coach Moriarty, he being one of those athletic types, but I knew instantly that I didn’t like him. So, during the course of the class period, I decided to insert a capped pen into my left ear.

I was sitting in the very back of the room. I said nothing. I was just sitting there, a placid smile pasted on my face, with a pen in my ear.

It didn’t take long to get a reaction.

“Hey, you!” Moriarty said after a minute or two, pointing directly at me.

I feigned surprise, even looking over my shoulder to see if perhaps he was addressing someone else.

“Yeah, you!” he said, angrier this time. “Take that pen out of your ear!”

“What?” I answered, perhaps a little too loudly.

“I said take that stupid pen out of your ear!”

“What?” I said again, almost shouting. “I can’t hear you. I have a pen in my ear.”

That got some nervous laughter from the rest of the class, who were a lot more scared of this twerp than I was. Still, it was enough to show that I had succeeded in undermining this little tyrant’s authority. This displeased him mightily, and you could actually see the veins in his neck begin to throb. Through clenched teeth, he asked me my name, and I gave it to him pleasantly. (The calmer I was, the madder he got. )

So he tried to up the stakes a little bit.

“What would your father say if he knew you were sitting in my class with a pen in your ear?” he demanded to know.

“Gosh, I’m not sure,” I said with wide-eyed innocence. “You’ll have to ask him, I suppose.”

“I’ll do that!”

The moment was gone after that. The rest of the class passed without incident. Although I seem to recall that I spent the remainder of the period with my head on my desk buried underneath my notebook binder, which I’d made into a little fort in the hopes of bugging him even further. But that got me nothing. I’d used up my best material with the pen-in-the-ear gambit.

My brother, who actually WAS a high school athlete, bumped into Moriarty after that, and the esteemed coach asked “What is with your brother?! That guy is out to lunch!” He then told my brother that he’d tried to call my father, but he couldn’t get him because he was out to lunch. “Not like your brother, though – he was literally out to lunch.” Because, you know, Dad was eating lunch. Unlike me, who was just nuts. Not literally nuts, like walnuts or cashews, but figuratively speaking.

Was there a point to this? Other than Driver’s Ed sucks?

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe it or not:
There was a "link" between Driver's Education and Chemistry AP.

Driver's Ed was a pre-requisite to take "Driver's Training." Both the Driver's Training course (in an actual vehicle) and Chemistry AP were taught BEFORE school. So they both began about 6:30 AM.

Now if you think the "link" was the starting time, you are wrong. The link is that only a teacher who was a total moron would want to teach such a course!

Remember, the student only took Driver's Training for a few weeks. And the AP Chem class was only a year long (unless the student was as smart as you and dropped it sooner).

However, the idiot teachers who taught those courses did it year in and year out.

They were inevitably "dumb jock coaches" or "nerdy losers"; and usually on power trips like your friend Moriarity ("I presume?")

Sorry about that last attempt at Sherlock Holmes humor.

Sign me,

POUNDS

December 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Dude. You were a regular pain in the ass. I had no idea.

December 2, 2008 at 6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a memory of driving Malibu Canyon with Mr. Reich in the dark. I remember it was dark because I didn't know how to turn on the brights. Now I know why it was dark. I guess we teenagers really wanted to learn to drive.

Speaking of early morning, reminisce about the telphone at seminary bit. Always a good story.

December 2, 2008 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

I was in the last driver's ed class that our teacher, Mr. "Wild Bill" Olsen, taught before he retired.

- He had a countdown calendar in his desk until his retirement.
- He would stick his left hand down the back of his pants while he wrote on the chalkboard with his right hand, then hand out papers with his left hand, all the while licking his index finger while handing out the papers.

The dude was a legend, and was totally on autopilot.

December 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now here is a trivia question that should realy challenge everyone.

Driver's Education was only ten weeks long. It was matched the other semester with some kind of history class. BUT, what was the other ten week course that was paired with Driver's Eduction during the same semester?

In other words:

10 wweks of Driver's Ed

10 weeks of ????

20 weeks of History (World studies, I think)

Sign me,
POUNDS

December 2, 2008 at 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when you told that story about driving your desk out of the room. We were eating dinner and Dad couldn't stop laughing and I couldn't understand why you weren't getting in trouble. I still wonder...

JBN - driving at night alone with a male teacher? Hmmm...sounds creepy.

December 2, 2008 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

POUNDS, it was some kind of career prep class, I think. I just recall the woman teaching it, whose name I can't remember, saying she would never go to a black doctor because of affirmative action. She was a piece of work.

December 2, 2008 at 4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice recall there, Stallion.

Career Guidance
Now there is a course of great value every 15 year old. "Hurry up and decide what you want to be!! Puberty is almost over!!"

Can you imagine a course like that helped EVEN ONE STUDENT alter what would have been his/her career choice?

The ultimate in educational folly has to be a course in career guidance taught by someone who chose a career of teaching career guidance classes to young teens.

note to wbpraw: I thnk jbn was indicating an early morning darkness. The Driver's Training class was pre-dawn.

Sign me,

POUNDS

December 2, 2008 at 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were other kids in the car. They were all sleeping, I'm sure.

December 2, 2008 at 6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion,

I think we had the same career guidance teacher. I don't remember her name, but I know she was the faculty advisor to the cheerleaders. She was the ditziest teacher ever! We had to do a book report on a career. I can't remember what I did, but my friend took a Doonesbury comic book called "Guilty! Guilty! Guilty!" and passed it off as a book about a career in law. He got an A.

December 3, 2008 at 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Random Thought:

How come you don't have a blogroll?

December 3, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

What's a blogroll?

December 3, 2008 at 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wondered what he meant by that term, too. So I looked it up.

http://www.answers.com/topic/blogrolling

Answers.com is a good site for that kind of thing.

Sign me,

POUNDS

December 4, 2008 at 8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

For many teenagers, getting a driver's license means fun and freedom. For parents, it means long nights without sleep and spikes in their insurance premiums. DriverEdToGo.com understands. The cost of insuring a teen driver can be tremendous. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
Sofia.

January 30, 2009 at 10:36 PM  
Anonymous Online Traffic School said...

Drivers Education is really helpful for the one who loves driving. Every one should go training before he goes on road for a drive

April 6, 2009 at 5:03 AM  
Anonymous California Drivers Ed Online said...

California Drivers Ed online course satisfies all DMV requirements for getting California learners permit. Enroll CA DMV authorized course for just $69.95.

November 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home