My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Sunday, January 4, 2009

First Post of the New Year!

Yippee skippy.

I don't really get into New Year celebrations, and I try to be in bed by the time the clock turns to midnight. But this year, the kids wanted to stay up, so we watched Prince Caspian, which is better than the book but still not very good. (I loved the Narnia stories as a kid, but having reread them as an adult, I have to say that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, The Magician's Nephew, and The Last Battle are the only ones worth reading. The Silver Chair has its moments, but The Horse and His Boy is kind of pointless, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is busy without going anywhere, and Prince Caspian is completely empty - the worst of the lot.)

Corbin fell asleep three minutes before midnight. Very sad. We also watched Dick Clark struggle to ring in the New Year with his stroke-addled speech. That, too, was very sad. I had heard people discuss this in year's past, but this is the first time I'd seen him try to ring in the New Year post stroke. Growing up, he was immortal, the "the world's oldest teenager." Now he's exactly the opposite - a symbol of everyone's mortality. Very depressing, indeed.

I also want to kick off the New Year with a comment I received on a very old post. In an entry titled The Order of the Arrow, I lamented all things that have to do with the Boy Scouts of America, which I've always considered to be an embassy of pure evil in the midst of the LDS Church. On New Year's Day, I received the following comment on that ancient essay from a buffoon who styles himself "Proud Arrowman:"

wow I really think that you got your underware in a twist and you need to pick it out. If you don't like it than don't talk about it. Everything in the ordeal has a pourpose and it really soulds like your just a wuss cause if you wine about ants in your sleeping try going to philmont but you wouldn't do that because once again you are a wuss
Do people realize that when they write insulting nonsense, it hurts their case when they spell like monkeys with typewriters? I guess if they were smart enough to realize that, they wouldn't write such flagrant hooey. They also probably wouldn't still be associated with the Order of the Arrow, which would admittedly be a lot more fun if everyone in it had their own porpoise.

I noticed another guy commented in the intervening years, a guy named "SGT Baker- Eagle Scout and Brotherhood member," who said:

... or you could just pretend to be a man and quit your b---hing, you little girl! How about you come out and try the U.S. Army Special Forces selection, sally!


This one, at least, is spelled correctly, except Sally should probably be capitalized.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're more of a Nancy than a Sally.

January 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Fine. Just as long as it's capitalized.

January 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Oh we were strangers in a really big city
Got excited by the sound of a party
Down the hall where the music was groovin'
And if you wanted to you couldn't keep from movin'
Look around do you believe what you're seein'
The walls are movin' the ceiling's a-reelin'

Couple's over in the corner romancin'
Suppose that we could do some outta sight dancin'
Gotta girl givin' me some lessons
And now she's gonna be my confession
Aren't you glad we found our way in here
Put another record up on the player

Hey there's a stoned party dancin' with the police
Don't have to worry about disturbing the peace
Met a fine chick that really got to me
Good Lord how she boogalooed to me
Oh my how she boogalooed it to me
Come on sock it sock it to me

S-O-C-K I-T to me"



----

SM

January 4, 2009 at 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only question i have is, whhat hotel were they staying at?

SB

January 4, 2009 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

OofA was a forced labor camp. Sleep deprivation, mild starvation, seizure of personal property, suspension of one's 1st amendment right to speech (free or otherwise). I sincerely hope I am able to subject my boys to the same torture I endured.

January 5, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Stallion is more of a Nancy or a Judy or even a Ruthie but not a Sally.

Sally no good. No good at all.

January 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Sally lactate?

January 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katie lied,
But Sally, she'll wrong you.

January 5, 2009 at 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home