My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A VERY MANLY POST


All right, wusses. Nothing sissified today. Behold! Today is
a celebration of all things MANLY.

And I am a MANLY MAN.

How manly? Let me count the ways. (Although this is, by no means, a comprehensive list.)

I WENT BUNGEE JUMPING ONCE.

Actually, I jumped three times in succession, and the third time was the hardest. Because unlike, say, a roller coaster or some other run-of-the-mill thrill, the anticipatory fear of bungee jumping pales in comparison to the actual experience. You spend an interminable amount of time at the top of the platform trying to talk yourself into it and then, against all better judgment, you jump. And then you’re sure you’re going to die.

Then you reach the bottom and you’re yanked all the way back up again, which gives you another chance to wet yourself.

But I’m manly. So my britches stayed dry.

I MADE OUT WITH SOME RANDOM CHICK I DIDN'T KNOW.

It was ten minutes after I met her – and before I knew her name. How manly is that?

We were at this weird, artsy poetry reading. I got up and did some bizarre Stallion Cornell rant, and she was laughing her head off. So I took the occasion to make my move, and before you knew it, we were smooching like there’s no tomorrow.

Unfortunately, there was a tomorrow, in which I took her out on a real date, where I learned her name - which I’ve forgotten – and we discovered we didn’t like each other much. She was turned off by the fact that I was a Republican, and I was turned off by the fact that she was kind of a skank.

I FATHERED TWINS.

You don’t get much more manly than that. My wife and I went in for the first ultrasound, and the nurse running the thing said “Are you in here for any special reason?”

We both panicked, thinking something was wrong. “No,” we said. “Why do you ask?”

“Because I’m seeing two heads,” the nurse replied.

My wife says her first thought was “Aaaargh! My baby has two heads!"

I WAS A SOCCER COACH.

I didn’t mean to be. But when I went to the orientation meeting, there was no one else there from my daughter’s team to take the equipment, so they made me “responsible” for it. Which meant I was the de facto coach, despite the fact that soccer makes me itch.

We lost every game we played. But in a totally manly way!

I KAYAKED FOR 17 MILES.

There are 17 miles of coastline along northern Kauai that are completely inaccessible by land. The only way to see it is to take a motorboat (good plan) or a sea kayak (less good plan.) My wife and I kayaked together in a two-person kayak for six hours straight. It ate up two days of our vacation: one day because of the hard-slog kayaking, and one day of her not speaking to me because of all my belligerent swearing, which I thought she couldn’t hear. Apparently, she could, and she was displeased.

I’m a very manly swearer.

I FINISHED A 10K RACE.

I’d like to say I ran a 10K race, but that’s not entirely accurate. It was the official state race on Pioneer Day through Downtown Salt Lake City, and I participated in it with my more athletically-inclined wife. I started off running with the big boys, and for about three miles, I kept pace. Then I started to cramp up. Pretty soon I was walking. I walked for about ten minutes before my wife caught up with me, which shamed me back into running. I would start walking again when I put enough distance between us, but I had to make sure I stayed ahead of my wife. I beat her by about thirty seconds.

I did OK, though! I came in 85th!

(Out of the 95 people in my age group.)

There’s more I could tell you. I eat like crap. I fart with impunity. I fear laundry. I kick things. I wear my sunglasses at night. I use duct tape. I’ve tiled my own bathrooms. I could go on and on and on. But I won’t, because it’s not the manly thing to do.

And I’m so freaking manly, it’s not even funny.

I got married in a kilt.

41 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you wear under that kilt?

October 24, 2007 at 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used the words wusses and sissified in the first two sentences of your post. That's pretty gay.

October 24, 2007 at 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you protest too much.

I would have said Me thinks the man doth protest too much, but that sounds sooooo gay.

October 24, 2007 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

lol.

October 24, 2007 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice picture of a sweaty, shirtless man...

Were you ever a Lumberjack?

October 24, 2007 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Your manliness abounds.

October 24, 2007 at 10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SC nearly had me (but not in a gay way) with his tales of bungee jumping and kayaking but then I remembered he sometimes poses as a woman on an internet bulletin board.

Meet Stallion Cornell – the Rock Hudson of the internet!

October 24, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soccer is a very feminine sport.

October 24, 2007 at 10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion had me at Behold.

October 24, 2007 at 10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You came into my life
And my world never looked so bright
It's true, you bring out the best in me
When you are around
When you are around
All things just keep getting better!

The days keep getting better
Nights keep getting better

All things just keep getting better!

October 24, 2007 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Kilts are very manly.

If this post didn't convince you of how non-gay I am, then it's your problem. I have no intention of going all Dumbledore just to make you people happy.

October 24, 2007 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger foodleking said...

I know for a fact that SC once slept in a bed with two other males, and on another occasion, dressed up like a girl and went to the store.

These two incidents may have been gay, but definitely NOT homosexual.

October 24, 2007 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I remember the store thing, but what was the two other males thing? Was it you and JAH?

October 24, 2007 at 11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The manliness of a kilt is in direct proportion to the undergarment worn with it.

For example:
Kilt with:
Boxer Shorts = Manley
Ladies Panties = Not Manley
Men’s Briefs = Somewhat Manley
Girl’s Unitard = Super Unmanly

And the Moist Manley combination possible…
A Kilt worn with only Talcum powder = Supremely Manley.

October 24, 2007 at 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making out with a strange woman is all heterosexual goodness but it's erased by the fact that you were at an artsy poetry reading. If you had been at a monster truck rally, things would be different.

October 24, 2007 at 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberal girls are easy.

October 24, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Ah... that night in a home in Bel Air canyon (your Aunt and Uncle's). The cool night air... the salty breeze... the reek of roast beef, swiss, and onion sandwiches... the absolute impossibility of three of us fitting in one queen-sized bed, even with the person in the middle putting his head near the footboard. I think it lasted all of 10 minutes before cramps set in.

October 24, 2007 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Why on earth did we do that? My aunt and uncle had two other empty bedrooms, for crap's sake! What were we thinking?

October 24, 2007 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

And PN, I only pose as a woman named Francis, which is a man's name. So that changes everything.

October 24, 2007 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So today's attempt to prove his manliness ends in a sordid tale of a three-man orgy.

October 24, 2007 at 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That story sounded like the begining of every p*nthouse forum I have ever read. (Except for the lack of women)

October 24, 2007 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

No no no... no orgy. It was just majorly silly and stupid, which is to say gay.

And there are too many anonymous people. Stand up and be recognized, for heaven's sake.

October 24, 2007 at 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Politics = not much postings
Men and manlyness = lots of postings

October 24, 2007 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

This blog is more explicit than The Village Voice, which is a seriously manly newspaper.

October 24, 2007 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

And SC... your Rambo ne Yul Brynner lovechild graphic made just about toss my Wawa roast beef, swiss, and onion hoagie. Looks like an overbaked alien to me.

October 24, 2007 at 1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FK - Your right. He kinda looks like a Talosian on roids.

October 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion Cornell said...

I only pose as a woman named Francis, which is a man's name. So that changes everything.


It certainly does, it means either you're some kind of virtual transsexual/hermaphrodite or you really are confused about your sexuality.

I think I can get a book deal out of you.

How about a 60/40 split, you could even play yourself in the movie!

It'd pull in the Beaches crowd and we'd clean up.

October 24, 2007 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 24, 2007 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

A couple of questions:

Robotonthetoilet (ROTT)- who is Talosian?

PN- a virtual transexual/hermaphrodite is NOT confused about his/her sexuality, whereas SC is? SC has a long history of posing as a female, as has already been established and admitted to in the above comments. Yet this has not compromised his ability to have a successful family and run for public office. Of course, all of that occurred before this blog.

October 24, 2007 at 3:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fk, to be serious, being married and having kids isn't proof that you're not gay.

I believe the actor Denholm Eliott did exactly that and he was camper than a row of tents.

As for running for political office, I think that's classed as hyper-gay.

I dread tomorrow's blog about gladiator movies.

October 24, 2007 at 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FK - Talosian's are the big headed aliens on the original Star Trek. The episodes with Captain Pike.

Here's a link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talosians

October 24, 2007 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

PN- being married and having a successful family is definitely proof that you're not gay.

And running for office generally means that you're life is an open book. While running for office may be gay, if SC was mega-gay it would have come out then. And I would be questioning my entire childhood.

ROTT- good call. I checked out the link.

October 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

My freaking productivity at work has plummeted by approx 70% since I found this odd little blog.

October 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

FK-

What do you think SC's productivity has plunged to since he STARTED this odd little blog?

October 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger AlphaNova said...

I bow to your superior manlyness.

October 24, 2007 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger AlphaNova said...

Robotonthetoilet said...
What did you wear under that kilt?

I think you know what he had on under that kilt.

October 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather O wrote-
"What do you think SC's productivity has plunged to since he STARTED this odd little blog?"

Stallion Cornell doesn't sleep, he waits.

October 24, 2007 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

I'd say that SC scored some HPs (Hetero-Points) with his Kissing The Skank recollection. SIs (Skank-Interactions) are a manly rite of passsage, and he should get a few points, even though it occured at a Gladiator Poetry Reading.

October 24, 2007 at 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoulda left out the artsy poetry reading thing...

Wendy

October 24, 2007 at 6:19 PM  
Blogger Anonymous_1 said...

SC should include daily polls, like "Who do you like more? Bette Davis or Judy Garland?"

That would be fabulous.

October 24, 2007 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I'm extraordinarily productive. I just don't produce anything anyone wants to pay me for.

October 25, 2007 at 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home