My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Moist Blog: The First 100 Years

OK, first 100 posts. Close enough.

This is Post #101.

I should have made a big deal about post #100, but I’m focusing on this one because it’s the beginning of the next 100. (Also, I didn’t notice that the last one was #100 until today, but that’s a less dramatic reason, so I’m improvising.)

Although this blog began in late August, Google Analytics has only been tracking visitors since September 15. However, that’s been long enough to get a good sense of who’s visiting this blog from where and how often. (As for why, that’s between you and your therapist.)



Over the past 89 days, this blog has been visited 4,318 times – an average of about 48 unique visits per day. That’s a different statistic from the much higher number “hits,” which is recorded every time anyone – including me – visits a web page. Visits are recorded when a unique IP address spends any time on the site, and Analytics discounts any of my own visits when I’m logged into Google. That means that 48 times per day, on average, one of you pulls up my blog to see what nonsense I’ve written recently. The stats say you view between two and three pages every visit and spend about six and a half minutes here.

Those are six and a half minutes you can never have back again.

For those of you who think all these visits came from my immediate family and/or Foodleking, who is essentially the same thing, think again. Only 17.5% of the total visits come from my home state of Utah, and the percentages are even lower for my parent's/siblings'/Foodleking’s home states – California (11%), Arizona (10%), and Virginia (3%). So a solid majority of you readers are people I’ve never met.

Case in point: Apparently, I’m a big hit in Massachusetts, which is just below Utah in terms of site visits. I’ve never been to Massachusetts, and while I do have relatives there, I doubt they would read this blog without medicating themselves heavily first. I’ve got readers in Ohio, Idaho, Wisconsin, and a healthy contingent from the Chicago Ridge area in Illinois. (Hi, Languatron!) In fact, I’ve had visits from every state in the union and the District of Columbia, except, inexplicably, the state of North Dakota, where I’m pretty sure they don’t have the Internet yet. (Don’t get all offended – I know you’re not in North Dakota, so let it go.)

However, U.S. traffic only accounts for 91% of my site visit totals. 3.5% of all visits come from the UK; 3.25% from Canada, and then a scattered handful of visits from Australia, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Switzerland, India, Spain, France, Turkey, The Phillipines, New Zealand, Argentina, Saudi Arabia, the Netherlands, The Sudan, The Czech Republic, Finland, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Thailand, Poland, Israel, China, Gibraltar, Denmark, and Hungary.

I can only assume that most people stumble across this blog by mistake.

This site received the most visits – 110 - on Wednesday, October 24 right after I put up A Very Manly Post, which was actually pretty stupid. The site had its smallest day – 19 visits – on Saturday, October 6, right after my Aargh! Languatron Invades Real Life! post, which I thought was better than it was. Most people visit the main page when they come, but the five pages that have gotten the most accumulated hits over time are, from most to least:

The Lost Art of the Crank Call
Preserving a Teacher’s Right to Suck
Languatron’s Book: A Review
Holiday Euphemisms
The Best Movies You’ve Never Seen

A Very Manly Post doesn’t show up until number 11. And, to spite Nigel Tufnel, my list doesn’t go to 11. But my total posts now go to 101.

I’ll keep going if you will. In fact, I’ll probably keep going even if you won’t. Someday, North Dakota is going to get the Internet, and I need to be ready for them.

11 Comments:

Blogger foodleking said...

Although I can't say for sure, I'm fairly certain that I personally account for 71.2% of your unique ID traffic. Several times per day, I change IP addresses at work simply to boost your stats. In the past month alone, I have traveled to 6 different states so that your demographics look diverse. Maine and New Jersey? That was me. New Mexico and New Hampshire? Me. North Dakota... you're next. As I write now, I'm working nights in Union City, CA... all for you.

November 29, 2007 at 1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couple of reasons to visit Massachusetts.
Oldest Major League Baseball Park – Fenway Park. Built when the Titanic was built.
Real Witches – There are shops in Salem, MA that sell cauldrons and spell ingredients including eye of newt. Fun to scare the kids.
USS Construction – The oldest warship afloat still in commission. I have yet to meet a Brit who has not openly wished for that ships destruction upon viewing her. Talk about keeping a grudge.
Freedom Trail in Boston – Have to do it once. Old North Church, Paul Revere etc.
Museums – Some really good Museums.
MFA (Cool Egyptian stuff and art),
Gardner Museum (According to my Artist cousin some significant pieces).
Peabody Essex Museum Salem, MA (Cool whaling stuff and I believe the largest Chinese Porcelain Collection in the world. Yawn. The whaling stuff is cool).
Mystic Seaport (ok its in Connecticut) – Largest collection of wooden small boats. Last whaler. If you like maritime stuff or wooden boats you’ll love it. If you don’t skip it.
Battleship Cove Fallriver, MA – A Battleship, WW2 Sub, East German Gun boat (and other boats) with 2 gun mounts that suspiciously look like two Dalaks. Also a large PT boat Museum. While in the Battleship my 5 year old wanted to know if it was a spaceship.
Harvard Square Cambridge, MA – It doesn’t get anymore liberal than this place. Fun to have a look at the loons and at Harvard.
Hyannis on Cape Cod - Just don’t accept any rides from any Kennedys.
Gloucester, Ma - Fishing town. Think Perfect Storm. Beautiful views of the ocean.
Essex, Ma - Birthplace of the Fried Clam (Woodman’s Restaurant) and great Seafood. A trip to Woodman’s is required.

November 29, 2007 at 9:07 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Blogging about blogging....this is serious navel gazing.

November 29, 2007 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Have you ever seen my navel? It's heaven.

November 29, 2007 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In honor of your blog about blogs, I submit the following:

http://www.drabble.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20071128.html

Sorry for only posting a link, but you are gooder at computers than me. Cut and paste is all I know. If you could make this picture so people can see it, you is good man.

November 29, 2007 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

HA, all that time we lived in Boston, did you even visit once? Nooooo. Think of all the readers you have met.

November 29, 2007 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger jjrakman said...

If only Lannguatron could provide stats like this for the sale of his book...

November 29, 2007 at 1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That graph was still too small even after I'd clicked on it.

Can't you make it bigger for the old and feeble to see SC?

Carry on blogging!

November 29, 2007 at 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Essex, Ma - Birthplace of the Fried Clam

For 10 seconds I wondered who Fred Clam was.

November 29, 2007 at 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I travel the world, I love to keep tabs on my "loony" neighbor. I might account for some of those random posts from around the North
America and Australia.

November 29, 2007 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Susie J. said...

I'm a stumbler. I stumbled here from a blog that Heather O. and Wiz post on. Which I stumbled onto a long time ago in a way I cannot remember for the life of me. I just found you fairly entertaining and stuck around. :) I'm sure my kids would appreciate it if I'd quit reading blogs and actually cleaned up after them now and then... but I keep reading anyway.

November 29, 2007 at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home