My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Beware Authors of Our Own Lives

The Salt Lake Tribune carried an article today about a rebuttal to a speech given by LDS General Relief Society President Julie B. Beck in the most recent LDS General Conference.

The whole sorry incident just makes me sad.

A recap for those of you who missed it:

In October, Sister Beck gave a speech to the general church membership that began as follows:

There is eternal influence and power in motherhood. In the Book of Mormon we read about 2,000 exemplary young men who were exceedingly valiant, courageous, and strong. "Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him" (Alma 53:21). These faithful young men paid tribute to their mothers. They said, "Our mothers knew it.” (Alma 56:48)


With reference to that final scriptural passage, Beck titled her remarks “Mothers Who Know.” Most of the speech was fairly innocuous, yet it contained the following incendiary passages:

Beck on having children:

Mothers who know desire to bear children. Whereas in many cultures in the world children are "becoming less valued," in the culture of the gospel we still believe in having children. Prophets, seers, and revelators who were sustained at this conference have declared that "God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force."


Beck on dress and grooming:

Mothers who know honor sacred ordinances and covenants. I have visited sacrament meetings in some of the poorest places on the earth where mothers have dressed with great care in their Sunday best despite walking for miles on dusty streets and using worn-out public transportation. They bring daughters in clean and ironed dresses with hair brushed to perfection; their sons wear white shirts and ties and have missionary haircuts.


On homemaking:

Mothers who know are nurturers… Another word for nurturing is homemaking. Homemaking includes cooking, washing clothes and dishes, and keeping an orderly home. Home is where women have the most power and influence; therefore, Latter-day Saint women should be the best homemakers in the world.


Many people were upset by these remarks. To some, this speech places inordinate emphasis on what the unenlightened might call “women’s work,” which feeds a stereotype of Mormon women as second-class citizens, housebound servants to their authoritarian husbands and plentiful children.

I must confess that I heard the talk when it was being given, and I found it unremarkable, although that may be because it came in the middle of several mid-Conference naps. Still, I ‘d like to address the three offending passages in turn.

There was nothing in the “having children” portion that bothered me at all. Implicit in her encouragement to multiply and replenish is the biological and spiritual necessity of a righteous father, too. Although she was speaking primarily to mothers, I fail to see how this statement is demeaning to women. If it is in any way damning, it damns both genders equally.

As for the dress and grooming section, I think Beck’s critics are assigning significance to her words that the context fails to sustain. The people she praises are individual examples of sacrifice and commitment, and that’s all that they are. She’s not insisting that everyone in the church brush their hair to perfection, any more than she’s demanding that each of us walk “for miles on dusty streets” or use “worn-out public transportation.” If you want to extrapolate a universal application for this – i.e. Moms better be sure that all children are in clean, ironed, white clothing and have their hair expertly coiffed at all times – then feel free. Just don’t pretend that’s what Julie Beck said, because she didn’t.

It’s the final passage that is probably the most provocative. Women have to be homemakers? They have to wash clothes and dishes and keep the house clean? Well, yes. Except nowhere do Beck’s remarks preclude men from getting in on the homemaking action, too. I’ll concede that Sister Beck’s language is pretty clumsy here. By addressing the talk solely to mothers, Beck seems to be downplaying the significance of fathers and the necessity of fathers to share the burdens of homemaking. I don’t think that was her intent. I doubt she would be upset if Dad was doing the dishes while Mom was folding clothes, which is usually the way it works in my house.

All this is prelude, however, to my real point.

The “rebuttal” to Beck’s talk is a deeply stupid idea, and not only because the content of the rebuttal itself is deeply stupid.

Of course, the rebuttal’s inherent asininity doesn’t help. It’s insufferably self-righteous, insisting that:

Several ideas within the body of President Beck's talk conflict with our inspiration and experience. We are authors of our own lives, and this is the story we know to be true. [Emphasis added by me.]


The authors of their own lives then list the several areas of “conflict,” beginning with this one:

Fathers as well as mothers, men as well as women, are called to nurture. Nurturing is not confined to mothering or housekeeping, but is a universal attribute that communicates patience, peacefulness, and care.


Swell, Authors of Our Own Lives (AOOOL). Please show me how this conflicts with anything in Sister Beck’s talk? Show me where she insists that men cannot nurture, or that nurturing is solely defined by housekeeping skill? Where, exactly, does she come out in full force against patience, peacefulness, and care?

This is the problem with the entirety of the Authors of Our Own Lives brief. For the most part, their manifesto attributes to Beck things she didn’t say or even imply in order to whine about how awful the world is for women today. It even ludicrously “reject[s] the glorification of violence in all its forms,” because Beck had the audacity to refer to the 2,000 stripling warriors as “exceedingly valiant, courageous, and strong.” The war story fills the AOOOL with “unutterable sadness” because these warriors were sent to “kill other mothers' children.” This is a gross misreading of both Julie Beck and the Book of Mormon. It makes me wonder why the AOOOL bother with the church in the first place.

However, the AOOOL cross the line between foolishness and irresponsibility when they demand that, “We reverence the responsibility to choose how, when, and whether we become parents.”

As Julie M. Smith, a blogger at timesandseasons.org wrote:

“I’m all over the “when.”

“How” makes me a little nervous.

But unless the signers understand something different than I do by “whether,” then I think that their statement is not in harmony with the established teachings of the Church. In the context of a temple-married LDS couple, children are not optional.


She’s right. And that’s a hard thing to say. It’s an even harder thing to hear. Surely it makes the AOOOL uncomfortable. But the reality of living as a church member is submitting to the church’s authority. The AOOOL may seem compassionate and enlightened, but in refusing to accept doctrines they don’t like, they’re really no different from the FLDSers who refused to accept the Manifesto or the bigots who ran away after President Kimball’s priesthood revelation in 1978.

If you think a church doesn’t have the right to tell you to have children, then that’s your prerogative. But if your church can be stripped of its authority whenever you don’t like what it says, then what authority does it really have left? And in what respect, then, can you still be termed a member of said church?

Don’t get me wrong. There is plenty of room in the LDS Church for people who struggle, who question, and who disagree occasionally. I know, because I’m one of them. But once you go public and adopt an adversarial position with the Church, your allegiances have shifted. You’re no longer trying to improve your own community from the inside; you’re on the outside looking in, doing battle. Spiritually speaking, that’s a very dangerous place to be.

I don’t think much will come of this, and I’m not calling for the excommunication of the AOOOL or for anyone to be burned at the stake. I just wish everyone would have taken Sister Beck at face value and tried to find the positives instead of putting their names to antagonistic and politically correct nonsense.

If I have to take sides between my Church and the AOOOLies, I’ll take the Church every time.

15 Comments:

Blogger The Wiz said...

Ah, the Julie Beck flame war has found its way to your blog. How interesting.

The manifesto thing makes me sad. It's fairly ridiculous, and hugely political.

I didn't love Sister Beck's talk. The part that made me upset was the "Best homemakers in the world." The word 'best' implies competition and breeds pride. And last time I checked, we are not fans of pride in this church.

Everyone I've mentioned this to says 'yeah, the word best is problematic' or 'yeah, she phrased that poorly' or 'Yeah, but what she MEANT was....' Well, I can't divine what she meant, only what she said. And she said best. Crap. Can't do it. Tired of trying. Pass the Oreos, scre the laundry.

The rest of the talk was fine, though, and even though I have an issue with it, I would NEVER sign such crap as the AOOOL wrote.

I think it's too bad Peggy picked it up, actually. I would have preferred to see it die an unacknowledged death. But it's pretty big among the blogs.

November 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Wiz, I also think people misunderstand what conference talks really are. We have no doctrine of infallibility in the LDS Church. Occasionally, leaders will say or do things that make us cringe. Unless they're egregiously out of line - i.e. if Julie Beck had encouraged cannibalism instead of clean shirts - it's counterproductive to attack the Church. "Best" to suck it up and get on with your life.

I've served in several leadership positions, and I try to cut GAs as much slack as I hope people are willing to cut me.

When do you get here for Thanksgiving? Will we see you?

November 20, 2007 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I ain't coming for Thanksgiving. Just Christmas, sorry.

So, what you're saying is, if I don't like what a church leader says, I should just write it off? Cool.

November 20, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I am upset about something a church leader says, it always comes back to the fact that I am the one lacking. If a local leader says something that I know is stupid or wrong, I don't fight it because I don't have to. I know it's stupid. Life's too short.

Methinks those who protest too much are lacking and feel guilt. Why else would they waste time and energy to protest?

Our mother was one of the best homemakers in the world. Look at the fruits of her labors. It's not all about keeping the perfect house. It's about having the perspective that homemaking is something we should take seriously enough to have the perspective of trying to be the best homemakers in the world. Then you keep the focus on the family.

Free agency and personal revelation. That's what makes the church go round.

Did anyone offer them cheese with their whine?

November 20, 2007 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

I know a lot of those women who signed that petition. It was even forwarded to me so I could sign it. I didn't.

My only question is, what do they think it is going to accomplish? I understand protesting something evil for protesting sake, because you can't live with yourself if you don't speak up against evil. But Sis. Beck is not evil. Telling women of the church to clean their houses and be good mothers is not evil. Ironing is evil, though, definitely, which is why I never do it.

I'm all for writing a letter to a leader if you have some issues, but this manifesto goes far beyond that.

And the stuff about the Helamen warriors--what the heck?

Wiz, no way would was this thing going to die an unacknowledged death. The webmaster for the site sent it to the General Relief Society.

I wonder, though, how representative of women in the church this 'manifesto' is. While blogging, we get caught up in our own opinions, and hanging out with people who think and agree with us only makes people more extreme. Every woman I have talked to in real life had few or no problems with the talk. Sometimes I think we all blog too much. Okay, I blog WAY too much, but that's a different post altogether....

November 20, 2007 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying "suck it up." There's a difference.

I remember when I was in the MTC, a GA came and spoke and said if we weren't married within 6 months of our mission, we weren't honoring our priesthood. (Foodleking was there, too - he should remember this.)

That bugged me. So I could have left the Church at that point, or written a manifesto, or sucked it up and moved on.

I listened to him, though, even though I got married 5 years after my mission. The main thrust of his message was that we shouldn't postpone marriage for selfish or faithless reasons. I didn't. I'm therefore confident the Lord will forgive my four-and-a-half years of non-priesthood honoring.

Don't write it off. It would be nice if you were the best homemaker in the world. It would be nice if I were the best homemaker in the world. It would be nice if I could flap my arms and fly to the moon. Maybe it would have been good for me to be married within 6 months of my mission. (Doubtful on that, but still..)

The BEST thing to do here is to use Sister Beck's counsel to do a little better, or at least do what we can, and then forgive her for her clumsy choice of words.

November 20, 2007 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Ah, there it is - "clumsy choice of words." OK. I can accept that.

But I ain't never gonna be the best homemaker in the world. I think the main problem I have is that when it comes down to it, I don't really WANT to be the best homemaker in the world (at least the way I define homemaking), and therein lies the rub. I should try to be the best at something that I don't enjoy or would ever aspire to! Great! That sounds fun. I guess I should re-define homemaking.

But it's my problem, not Sister Beck's. I've always known that. I don't like it, but there it is.

I'm not leaving the church or writing a manifesto. I'm eating leftover candy and blogging in my pajamas at 2 p.m. Good times.

I have a big ol' nasty cold and the snot is everywhere. So that explains the jammy thing. Rationalizations, I know, but I like my jammies, so back off.

Wait, who am I telling to back off? Oh, right, that little voice in my head. Not you.

You should have gotten married 6 months after your mission. I'm pretty sure I know one psycho girl who would have married you. That would have been a GREAT choice for you. Truly.

November 20, 2007 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Well, the week after the talk, The Wiz did make some killer cinnamon roles, and I canned 6 quarts of homemade applesauce. Best homemakers ever right there, baby.

November 20, 2007 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Yeah, but I just bought Rhodes cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving,couldn't manage the effort of homemade for 10 people.

I've lost my awesome stuffing recipe. Oh well. I'll be lucky if there's no snot in the turkey.

November 20, 2007 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

We're getting a free turkey today at 6:00 from the League of Credit Unions that was killed yesterday. They do this every year. You can still see the little goosebumps where the feathers used to be.

And eat the yams from the Blab recipe! They're friggin' awesome!

November 20, 2007 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

The whole thing is hilariously silly. Reminds me of people I know who trip over themselves attempting to become offended.

Sister Beck was preaching the doctrines, and to disavow the doctrines is to disavow the church. People are free to disagree and dissent, but they risk separation from the Almighty (who will judge motives and performance almightily) in the end. Again, look beyond the words to the principle, then the doctrine.

The only part of the rebuttal that got my blood boiling a little was the anti-Stripling Warrior/anti-war rant that was grossly misplaced. A bunch of uppity viragos. In times like this I am constantly reminded how greatly I married over my head.

November 20, 2007 at 2:15 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

And JBN, SC, The Wiz, and Heather O., your mother is a Saint of the 1st Degree. As a misplaced teenager, I spent more time at your home than my own, and she put up with a lot crap from me and showed me nothing but love.

November 20, 2007 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Mom's a saint, all right, and a great homemaker.

But her hamburgers are really gross.

November 20, 2007 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Whereas YOU, SC, put Allspice(typically a baking spice, but who are you to be held back by convention?) in your burgers.....yumm......

November 20, 2007 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I've used Nutmeg, too.

I experiment. I'm daring. And sometimes it works.

Other times...

November 20, 2007 at 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home