My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Yams

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving! Shouldn't you be doing something other than reading blogs?

Allow me to be helpful. Since I know all of you visit this blog for the cooking tips, I provide you with my wife's yams recipe.

All my life, I hated yams. Then my wife baked up some of these. It just goes to show that enough sugar can make anything palatable.

Here it is:

___________________

5 large yams
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. milk
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 c. lt brown sugar
1/3 c. melted butter
1 c. chopped pecans

Bake yams at 350 for 40 minutes. Mix yams w/ butter, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour into 9 x 9 pan. Put cream in sauce pan. Simmer then add brown sugar. Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage. (on a candy thermometer it will say what temp is soft ball) Remove from heat. Beat in melted butter and pecans. Pour over sweet potatoes. Bake until they're hot and top bubbles.

If I remember correctly, I usually do 8 or 9 large yams, but I make the same amount of the topping. Then I cook it in a 9 x 13 pan.

Have fun. For anyone else out there who needs a way to disguise dessert as vegetables, this is an awful good way of doing it.

Mrs. Cornell

__________________

Enjoy! Now I've gotta go home and hang up more Christmas lights. Yeesh.


3 Comments:

Blogger jjrakman said...

My Recipe for Yams (or Squash)

3 to 4 large yams (or 1 large winter squash)

1/3 Cup Brown Sugar

7 Slices Tart Apple, unpeeled

1/4 Cup White Wine (optional)

Ground Cinammon

Ground Thyme

4 to 5 Pats Butter or Margarine


Butter bottom of a glass baking dish or large loaf pan. Peel and cut squash or yams into bite-size pieces; spread 1/2 in baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the brown sugar, then spread the rest of the squash or yams over the top and sprinkle with remaining sugar. Arrange the apple slices over the top. Break butter pats over apples. sprinkle with wine; be sure it soaks through the squash or yams. Sprinkle with cinnamon and thyme.

Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes or until tender. Mash squash or yams or serve as is. This dish is excellent topped with crisp, crumpled bacon.

November 21, 2007 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

I believe they are Holiday Lights, not Christmas Lights.

November 21, 2007 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger AlphaNova said...

You're putting up the lights a little early aren't you?

November 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home