My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Very, Very Interesting Things

So apparently yesterday's blog post was boring. What is it with you people? I give and I give, and what do I get in return? Huh? Don't tell me about your "needs." Your needs? Your needs?! YOUR NEEDS?!! What about MY needs?!!!!!

Yeah, well, whatever. I have some more boring stuff to get out of the way here at the outset. 

I'm now the author of yet another blog, one considerably less colorful than this one. Actually, it's a mite too colorful, and the white on blue motif is a little hard on the eyes. But visit theprosceniumsandy.com's blog and you'll find your humble blogger as the anonymous voice of a vast, corporate empire. Cool, no?

No? Well, WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!!!

Anyway, my daughter Cleta won the regional history fair for her documentary on Susan. B Anthony. I'm sure all of you want to watch it, so here it is. 

Well, what do you think?


LOOK, CUT SOME SLACK. I'm stressed out here. You can tell when I TYPE IN CAPITAL LETTERS. That's online yelling, you know. 

Foodleking wanted me to tell you about stage sleeping, because he thought that would be interesting.  I actually can't think of anything less interesting. When I was a freshman at USC in the theatre program, I had only one class on Fridays. The name of it was "the Feldenkrais Method," but we called it "stage sleeping," because you spent the entire hour on the floor, lying down, doing nothing. The goal was to be "self aware" and "feel the points of contact of your body with the floor." Usually, that involved sleeping, as the class was at 9:00 AM. According to our Feldenkrais instructor, that was OK, because that was what our bodies needed. I could have gotten a much better experience feeling the points of contact of my body with my own bed, but attendance at Feldenkrais was mandatory. Because, really, how else are they going to grade you other than whether you show up or not? By how well you sleep? 

We had another equally pointless class in the "Alexander Technique," which involved lengthening the distance from the middle of your back to the top of your spine.  This, too, was stupid, but the instructor actually insisted, after we came back from Spring Break, that we each take a moment to explain how the Alexander Technique had improved our lives. The problem was that the Alexander Technique hadn't, in fact, improved our lives, so we each made something up. The stories began simply enough - I had less back pain, I felt more "in command" of my body - but they got sillier and sillier as all the simple stuff was taken. Finally, one student described how he had unwrapped a Snickers bar and was about to eat it, and then he suddenly remembered the Alexander Technique, and the "Snickers bar tasted ten times better."

Well, that's all I got. If you didn't like it, try feeling the points of contact of your body with the floor. 

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

“The Feldenkrais Method”

Where there any holes in the floor?
and where was Feldenkrais during this alleged “Method”?
Did he make you drink anything before this “Method” began?
Was this class sponsered by NAMBLA?

April 1, 2008 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

That report was SIX MINUTES LONG.

That's way too much for my oittoe attention span.

April 1, 2008 at 6:03 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I mean little attention span.

April 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Papa D said...

Wow. I knew acting had elements of true crap, but a class where sleeping gets you an A? Back lengthening exercises? Just, "Wow!"

Your daughter's presentation was excellent. I'll have to go back to it, since my brain is a bit fried right now contemplating the depth of perception required of your Feldenkrais instructor.

April 1, 2008 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Papa D said...

wiz, I wondered what language that was - or if it was interpretive spelling.

April 1, 2008 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Cleta's got skillz.

April 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Favorite true documentary (and I don't mean any of Michael Moore's schlock)?

I vote for Baseball by Ken Burns.

April 1, 2008 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

So now that Stage Sleeping is out of the way (which was, despite your best efforts, very funny), what's next?

They are all takers, not givers. If you want their love, give the people what they want! More stories from Scotland, more political anecdotes, more tales of your disreputable youth, more treatises on religious thought. You have led a renaissance life. Don't fight it... Let them in on it!

April 1, 2008 at 11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Cleta Cornell is as talented as her brother Chris (loved that last Bond theme).

It's come to something Cornell when you've had to resort to enlisting your kids to dig you out of this creative slump!

However, I feel a brief film of you doing armpit farts could actually get you back on track.

April 2, 2008 at 4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And:

"The Feldenkrais Method" would've been a good episode of the original Star Trek.

April 2, 2008 at 4:48 AM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

nice job cross promoting your blog with your desnews oped with your blog that we actually enjoy reading. I finally feel like I have reached Cornell saturation on the interweb.

April 2, 2008 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, You can't even update this blog on a daily basis. Now you can slack on two blogs.

April 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In dance we called it "constructive rest". I loved it!

April 2, 2008 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

"Constructive rest"? I'm totally using that the next time I want to take a nap

"No, I'm not lazy, I'm engaging in constructive rest! Please don't call..."

April 2, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home