My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Monday, June 2, 2008

Love at First Stench

Defying her Luddite traditions, Mrs. Cornell has now become a regular reader of this blog, and therefore its harshest critic. She thinks it needs to be funny on a daily basis, which may prove difficult, as she’s not a fan of fat jokes and/or bowel humor, which constitute well over ninety percent of my comedic repertoire.

She learned that early on when we first met, or, at least, the first time she remembers meeting me, which is not the first time I remember meeting her. Her first foray into the life of Stallion Cornell was at the Hollywood Bowl in September of 1992, when she first arrived in Los Angeles to attend the University of Southern California in pursuit of a Master’s Degree in Physical Therapy. She also began attending the USC Student Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and on this occasion, the ward had organized a group outing to the Bowl to see the LA Philharmonic accompanying old Warner Brothers cartoons. Dubbed “Bugs Bunny on Broadway,” it was all in honor of animator Chuck Jones’ 80th birthday. Jones himself was in attendance and told some really fun, funny stories about the early days of the studio, when Jack Warner said, “All I know about our animation department is that we make all those Mickey Mouse cartoons.”

This was at the beginning of my own senior year as a theatre major, and I confess that I was a full-on geek at the height of my artsy-fartsiness. Along with a freshman theatre geek who’s name I can’t recall – Jonathan something, I think – I proceeded to make a complete ass of myself, yelling loud, pseudo-profound things and singing at inopportune moments.

According to Mrs. Cornell, and I do not deny it, I was also jovially asking random women to marry me, including her. Was it ironic that we were married almost two years later to the day? If you ask her, it certainly was. This was her first social interaction with the ward, and the future Mrs. Cornell was woefully discouraged thereby. I’ll never fit in here, she thought, because some tall, goofy blowhard was dominating everything, and, even worse, everybody seemed to like him and think he was funny.

Since she was but one of dozens of my female admirers on that occasion, I cannot recall any interaction between us that evening. The first time I took notice of her was during a Sunday service, when she came in late and found the only chair available was right next to me. What I didn’t know was that she had driven all night long to get back to LA so she could hook up with some guy with a motorcycle that she had the hots for. No, all I knew was that she clearly hadn’t showered; she smelled rank, and she had likely dipped her hair in an oil slick. I had come to this service to ponder the deep things of eternity, which was made far more difficult by the human sewer seated directly to my left.

And then, yadda, yadda, yadda, we got married and lived happily ever after. Ain’t love grand?

14 Comments:

Blogger foodleking said...

Was this post Ghost-written? I can't believe you ended your post so profoundly, calling your pre-marital spouse a human sewer, rank-smelling, and oil-slicked. Who has access to your account, I demand to know?

Uh... since not sure that this post will qualify as "funny" with the inestimable Mrs. Cornell, you may want to duck and run for cover. I suggest serpentine style, as it is harder to hit a moving target.

June 2, 2008 at 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to have to fill in more details for the general readership. Few long-term, ever yet eternal relationships are created out of such ... um... interesting, scary and turn-off-able first introductions.

June 2, 2008 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

FK, I warned my wife in advance. She thinks she may have run a 10K right before this meeting, too. This is an oft-told tale in the Cornell household, so I'm not too worried about being beaten up.

Then again, perhaps I should rethink this.

June 2, 2008 at 11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, Ok , for the record, I hadn't driven all night - just from San Bernardino which is 1-2 hours away depending on traffic. However, I hadn't showered because I really wanted to get there on time for the aforementioned motorcycle dude. Luckily for me, he wasn't there that day, so he didn't get a glance at me until I had gone home and showered. And as Jim hadn't noticed me (although he did propose to me)at the Hollywood bowl, I also was completely oblivious to the fact that he was sitting next to me during church. I was too busy kicking myself for speeding back for my motorcycle dude just to find out that he wasn't there.

And from all this you can surmise that our relationship was never based on the physical, but something much, much more profound - like farting, homosexual references and politics.

And I can beat him up - although I probably won't over this.

June 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

It's based solely on the physical now, though.

June 2, 2008 at 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear...

June 2, 2008 at 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what I need to know is...when did you ask her out? When did this oil slicked beauty become someone you were interested in?

Because although I have heard this story (hollywood bowl, etc.) I have never heard when it turned positive. Or if I have, I've forgotten.

June 2, 2008 at 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet that story involves Chloroform and a renegade hypnotherapist…

June 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dog still has the runs.

SM

June 2, 2008 at 4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gross.

June 2, 2008 at 6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinelese

June 2, 2008 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Papa D said...

Wow! Just, Wow!

June 2, 2008 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger JB said...

Stallion, I think that what you meant to say is "Some say that she stinketh, but to me she doth not stink."

June 3, 2008 at 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stallion you are a lucky man to have such an understanding and tolerant wife. I would be a double dead man if I told this story.

June 3, 2008 at 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home