My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Monday, August 18, 2008

Mormon Cultural Oddities

One of the first Mormon meetinghouses in Scotland was built in the city of Dundee in the mid-fifties and dedicated by then-church president David O. McKay. It was the largest LDS building I had seen when I served my mission there, and I would wager it’s probably still the largest meetinghouse in the country. However, if it were magically transported across the ocean and relocated somewhere along the Wasatch Front, I doubt anyone would think it unusual in any way. It’s about the size of most modern stake centers, and it looks exactly like every other Mormon church in America, complete with a full-size basketball court in the center of the building.

There’s only one problem. Most Scots have never seen a basketball, except in stories and legends.

The only people who used the court were missionaries, 90%+ of whom were American. Locals used the court to play indoor football – sorry, “soccer” to us culturally unenlightened Yanks – and it was hard to even find a basketball on that side of the pond. More recent buildings have foregone the basketball standards and better reflect the preferences of the local populace.

This is the most benign illustration I can think of that demonstrates the quirkiness of Mormon culture.

As I prepared for my 40th birthday – yes, I’m 40, had a nice dinner and played laser tag, big whoop – I had a chance to reconnect with some old friends to invite them to my shindig. One is now a Church employee, and this anonymous friend resents the fact that he’s unable to comment about any peculiarities in Mormon life for fear of reprisal from his employer. My musings on temple marriage would likely have gotten this pal of mine into hot water if he’d posted it himself, and I think that’s unfortunate. I think there’s a lot of room for discussion and disagreement within the church, and I don’t think it’s faithless to join in the dialogue every once in awhile.

Where we get into trouble is when we confuse church doctrine with church culture. One is inspired; the other ain’t necessarily so. For instance, if one were to publicly preach that Jesus is not the Christ or that baptism is for losers, perhaps they’d be stepping out of bounds. But if you write a blog post that says building church basketball courts in Scotland is really, really stupid, I think you’d be making a valid cultural point while standing on firm doctrinal ground.

Doctrine changes only by revelation. Church culture, on the other hand, is, over time, remarkably fluid. Don’t believe me? Consider this, then: Brigham Young would have a very tough time getting tenure at today’s Brigham Young University unless he shaved his beard. Indeed, David O. McKay once told his wife that he’d never be called into high church leadership because he was incapable of growing facial hair. Nowadays, even a Richard L. Evans moustache would get you tossed out of the BYU Testing Center. And it’s an unwritten rule that bishops, stake presidents, and other church leaders must be clean-shaven. The Holy Ghost, apparently, now finds it impossible to penetrate through a thick sit of whiskers.

Why? Show me the doctrine on this, guys. It’s just not there.

When I was at USC, our bishop stood up in priesthood meeting and told us all the necessity of attending all of our church meetings while wearing a white shirt. Thankfully, I was wearing a white shirt at the time, but only because my cool black shirt was lying in a crumpled heap at the bottom of a clothes hamper. I wore a white shirt from that point forward out of respect for that bishop – who is a great man and a wonderful leader – but I have yet to receive a spiritual confirmation from heaven that God is displeased with colored textiles.

There are plenty of other rules that seem equally ridiculous. Never applaud in a chapel. Woodwinds are acceptable in church meetings, but brass instruments are not. Missionaries must never go swimming. The Motion Picture Association of America’s ratings board has a mandate from heaven. Church attendees must never stray from their self-assigned pews. Visual aids must be banished from sacrament meeting and confined solely to General Conference. Saying “you” instead of “thee” in prayers is almost as bad as swearing, but ending a sermon "in the name of Thy Son, Jesus Christ, Amen,” is appropriate, even if the people you’re speaking to don’t have a son by that name. She who births the most kids wins. Using wheat bread for the sacrament may occasionally be necessary, but that doesn’t make it right. And partaking of the sacrament with your left hand will make you go blind.

It all seems kind of silly to me.

I decided a long time ago, though, that none of this weirdness was enough to drive me away. I still wear a white shirt most of the time, and I’m usually clean-shaven. I’ve grown a beard on occasion, but I shave it off after a month or two, largely because I don’t care enough about the issue to start a crusade over it. I don’t really want to be “The Beard Guy,” striking a blow for Mormon goatees everywhere. If it’s not a big deal, then what’s wrong with going with the flow? Bishops have enough problems as it is – they don’t need a batch of beard crusaders making trouble.

My brother-in-law has a beard. He’s evil, you know.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am evil. Indeed, I am so evil that I don't think that I even own a white shirt. And to think that I was allowed to corrupt the youth in my ward as YM's president for all that time. Ha! Ha! Ha! (read as evil Dr. Horrible laugh.)

August 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Mike Kingsley said...

yeah, good points. It annoys me when people end with "in the name of thy Son..." when ending a talk or a prayer. Don't do it just because everyone else is, do it correctly because you understand it and want to do it. I have mixed feelings about the white shirt thing also. I generally wear a white shirt and don't have anything against it, but sometimes my mood is for more color, or whatever. Sometimes the white shirt is just to "bright" for me. Along with that, it sometimes annoys my wife and I how bright it is in Sacrament meetings and other rooms. I don't mind natural light, I don't mind it being bright in the temple as it should be. But with all these millions of lights in the church buildings it can sometimes get slightly annoying. I wonder now with how everyone is trying to save electricity if the church will tone down on some of the lights. Just talking even 1/4 out would help. It's funny, one day in Elders quorum in the Overflow, someone accidentally hit on the other half of lights that had been off through half the meeting and decided to keep them on even though no one had noticed previously.

I had a counselor in the bishopric in the ward I grew up in that had facial hair. Everyone loved the guy, so I think that helps my perception.

August 18, 2008 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger foodleking said...

Facial hair is evil. I know this because I can't grow anything beyond a few scraggly patches.

August 18, 2008 at 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 40th Stallion! We had the same facial hair discussion last night at our dinner table. My DH is committed to wearing shirts with color and always having facial hair to ward off leadership callings.
Part of the reason I love the SL Trib columnist, Robert Kirby, is because he gets the difference between doctrine and culture!

August 18, 2008 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

A-to-the-freaking-men Brother!

Thankfully, the Church is now constructing indoor soccer fields in the parking lots of the churches in Brazil - but for some reason they put up a stupid basketball standard as well... ugh... you know, just in case.

After I graduated from BYU, I decided that, despite the potential comfort and familiarity a job with the church would bring, I would not ever work for the Church. I am one who likes to question and challenge my employers. I am an instigator. Working for the church would inevitably lead to my losing my testimony and going straight to Hell.

August 18, 2008 at 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So where does this leave Santa Claus?

August 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My personal contract with God thankfully doesn't involve, colors, beards, and pew parking enforcement.

You people need a better negotiater.

;)


SM

August 18, 2008 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger Wally M Ritchie said...

Ditto for the whiskers and colored textiles bit. And for some reason the white shirts must be contrasted with a dark suit. Darker the better. A light tan suit is pushing it. And what's the issue against long hair. Why not? I remember some dweeb at the testing center at BYU tugging on my hair and telling me I couldn't take the test. Bet USC wasn't like that.

I have taken on this crusade. And my relationship with my bishop(s) has been just fine. This ex-military fellow didn't care for the whole non-conformist thing, especially when I started teaching his son in primary. But he's still a good guy.

August 18, 2008 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shat will be right over.

I think we'll cannon ball him in this time. I'll have to schedule something with the Marketing Dept> in the AM.

SB

August 18, 2008 at 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure he's wearing a white shirt and a bird.

I don't want to get the CEO up for this, and we all know who he is.

SM

August 18, 2008 at 7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God gave somebody a sense of humor, and a point, a punt, and a pun.

I can almost hearing him LHFAO from here sometimes, when he isn't invested in the serious bits.

SB

August 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Thumb played.

SM

August 18, 2008 at 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said "He"


SB

August 18, 2008 at 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let the Catholics have fun with that one.


SM

August 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Us Catholics could care less.

August 19, 2008 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

I do not understand half the things your commenters say.

August 19, 2008 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Professor Chaos said...

A lot of church members mistake conformity for being on the "right path."

I go to BYU-I, where it's much worse than BYU Provo because there is an arrogant mentality here that this school will not become like "that school." Apparently the Spirit can't stand even the sight of flip-flops! They don't allow beards, but they do allow mustaches, which means lots of people have mustaches that make them look like gay child molesters.

I grow a beard every summer while I'm not in classes, and when people give me trouble about it I say "I'm trying to be like Jesus!"

Seriously, Jesus himself wouldn't be allowed on campus unless he cleaned himself up a bit to conform to the Honor Code.

August 20, 2008 at 12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pillow pusher.

SM

August 20, 2008 at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home