My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mini Controversies

Tuesday’s post generated a considerable amount of controversy, and I’ve considered a follow-up, except that the issue has been hashed and rehashed in the comments. So I thought I’d devote a post to several mini-controversies which are sure to generate all kinds of interest.

I have a new iPhone. Yes, I like it – my wife thinks my affections for it are somewhat unnatural – but it’s a little too user friendly. Which is to say, the less I know about what it does, the better. Every time I try to customize the settings – how often I retrieve email, for instance – I find it doesn’t really have any interest in letting you do things your own way. I also find it maddening that it’s impossible to cut and paste anything. Plus the keyboard is much harder to use than a Blackberry. I need real, tactile keys.

American Idol is awful this year. Simply awful. I like the new judge, but I’m sure Paula doesn’t, because it makes her look even dumber than she did before – no small feat, given her point of origin. But four judges, especially when two of them are completely useless, become too many cooks. Plus the performers stink.

24 is much, much better than it was last year. That, too, is a pretty low threshold, but Season 7 is turning out to be one of the best 24 seasons ever. Agent Walker is the most interesting addition to the cast in many a moon, and moving the locale from LA to DC has been a refreshing change of pace, especially in terms of the ludicrous geographical nonsense 24 is so famous for.

The Office has become something of a cartoon. That’s OK; I like cartoons. But watching the British version of The Office demonstrates how far the American version has strayed from reality. The British version is also very, very British, which makes it impossible for Mrs. Cornell to enjoy it, as she doesn’t understand half of what’s being said. The characters have a naturalistic cruelty about them that makes them funnier and more biting than Carell and Co. I think it may well have gotten as big and silly as the American version had it run for an equivalent amount of time.

I recently rewatched The Sunshine Boys for the first time in over a decade. I remember it as one of my favorite all-time movies, and I discovered I liked it even more than I did back in the day. I’m a huge Walter Matthau fan, and this is largely his movie, but for the first time, I came to appreciate the true brilliance of George Burns. His delivery is so unrelentingly dry that it should seem wooden; instead, it’s a revelation. He plays an old, slightly dippy man, and he does so without a hint of irony or guile. A cynical person might say this was because he was old and dippy when he did it, but that would be foolish. You can’t give a performance like that unless you’re in full command of your faculties. His timing was impeccable, and he deserved the Oscar he won for this.

My Facebook status yesterday was “Stallion really likes Fritos. I defy anyone to come up with a counterargument.” It got 97 responses. Who knew that Fritos were so topical?

Living in Utah, I now have to dial the area code as part of any phone number, even for local numbers. I hate this. I hate this almost as much as I hate my car beeping until I put my seat belt on. It’s none of the car’s business whether I wear my seat belt or not, dammit! Far too often, I engage in a battle of wills with my car, refusing to buckle up until after the beeping is done. (It beeps eight times slowly and then fifty times quickly and then it finally stops.) The problem is that my car is not sentient in a Herbie-like manner, so it doesn’t know how many times I’ve been able to tough it out to the end of the beeps. I’m told that a wiser man would never engage in a battle of wills with an inanimate object. But the people who tell me that are just quitters.

I really like Fritos. I defy anyone to come up with a counterargument. (Plus Obama sucks.)

9 Comments:

Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

Welcome to the land of 10 digit dialing. I have lived in this land for so long, it throws me when people give me a 7 digit number and just assume I know what area code they live in...

March 5, 2009 at 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fritos are too salty. Can't do carby snacks because my blood sugar spikes and then I become depressed, even w/Fritos' cornmeal goodness. If you're going carby and corn-chippy, though, Doritos are better. But that's not defying you. Saying that Doritos are better doesn't change your liking for Fritos.

And Obama sucks.

March 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't mean "that's not defying you." I meant that's not counter-arguing you. Published too fast.

Obama still sucks!!!!

March 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you follow the seat belt buckle down to the floor by the center console there should be a wire coming out of it. Trace it til there's a connection and disconnect it. In most cars this disables the bell but I did once have a Volvo where this caused the bell to be always on.


And Fritos suck but 100+ Facebook status comments totally rock!

March 5, 2009 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Heather O. said...

Eating Fritos is like that scene in Over the Hedge, when Hammy the squirrel carves a triangle out of tree bark and sprinkles pollen on it to pretend it's a Dorito. Perfect imitation of a Frito.

March 5, 2009 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

It seems to me that the problem with tactile keys is that they never go away. Which means you either have a small viewing area or a really large phone/PDA.

March 5, 2009 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger The Wiz said...

Ah, Fritos. That wasn't me earlier talking about blood sugar, but it could have been. I like Fritos too. I actually don't KNOW what it would do to my sugars, seeing as I haven't eaten any lately, but I'm assuming that yes, they would spike. Unless I ate them with protein and took insulin beforehand, which kind of defeats the purpose, really.

Now I just eat almonds. Those are good.

March 5, 2009 at 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My spouse just asked me, "So if you spell 'dammit' wrong, does it not count?" He doesn't ever swear. I respect him. That makes one of us. I'm ashamed of myself.

March 5, 2009 at 9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

USA Today/Gallup Poll. Feb. 20-22, 2009. N=1,013 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are handling their job?"


Approve 36%--56% Disapprove

Gallup Poll. Feb. 9-12, 2009. N=1,022 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Next, I'd like your overall opinion of some foreign countries. Is your overall opinion of [see below] very favorable, mostly favorable, mostly unfavorable, or very unfavorable?"


China: Favorable 41%--51% Unfavorable

March 5, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home