My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson and Celebrity Death

Do you remember where you were when River Phoenix died?

Probably not. A better question might be, “Do you remember who River Phoenix was?”( He was an up and coming, very talented young actor back in the day. Did a wicked Harrison Ford impression at the beginning of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Made a few other flicks and then died of a drug overdose about fifteen years ago or so.)

I don’t remember where I was when River died, either. But I remember where I was when an actor friend of mine started crying over it. He had never met Mr. Phoenix, but he mourned the “movies I’ll never get to see” because of River’s death.

It was then that I realized that celebrity deaths don’t mean very much to me, if they mean anything at all.

I say all this, obviously, in the light of Michael Jackson’s shocking, sudden death today, which has overshadowed Farrah Fawcett’s not-so-shocking, long-time-coming death on the same day. Others are throwing in the “What? He was still alive?” death of Ed McMahon and claiming that all celebrity deaths come in threes. I think claiming Ed McMahon is still a celebrity is really, really pushing it.

Please don’t misunderstand. I don’t mean to be heartless, and I wish the surviving loved ones of all these people well. I just don’t understand why I ought to be more heartbroken about Michael Jackson’s death than any other death I hear about on the news on a daily basis. I didn’t know Michael Jackson, and nothing in my life will change as a result of his demise. (Michael Jackson did, however, used to go knocking doors for the Jehovah’s Witnesses in my neighborhood, wearing a beard and a hat as a disguise. At least, my friend Pus-head told me that. If you can't trust a guy called Pus-head, who can you trust?)

There is the argument to be made that I’ve lost all the great music that we’ll never get as a result of his demise, much like River Phoenix’s movies we’ll never see. But odds are that I wouldn’t have seen River’s movies, and the evidence suggests that Michael’s days of producing great music are well behind him. His last decent album was Dangerous in 1991. The new stuff on his HISstory anthology in 1994 was unlistenable, and 2001’s Invincible is all kinds of suck. But Thriller is still deeply and thoroughly awesome, and I could listen to Off the Wall’s “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” from now until forever and still get caught up in the unrelenting funk of that irresistible bass line.

And, best of all, Thriller is still here. Michael Jackson has already given me everything of value that he’s going to give me, and I’ve lost none of it with his passing.

The “loss of talent” argument does work with some celebrity deaths, however. John Lennon’s death forever thwarted an otherwise inevitable Beatles reunion, and Heath Ledger’s death means that the sequel to The Dark Knight won’t be as good as it was supposed to be. That disappoints me. But that’s a very, very different thing from mourning the loss of the person who died.

Mourning over Princess Diana’s death reached a fever pitch in 1997, despite the fact that Diana was primarily famous solely for being famous. But everyone felt they knew her, so her death took on the nature of a communal event.

And, I think, that’s the whole crux of celebrity deaths. It brings the world together, because it illustrates we all have something in common. We all knew Michael Jackson, or at least we thought we did. Everyone can sing “Beat It and “Thriller.” Everyone can pretend to pop one of his patented dance moves - especially me. And being able to share something with everyone you know – or don’t know – provides a strange form of comfort. But the ritualistic weeping and wailing by people who have never spent a second of their lives in conversation with the famed Wacko Jacko starts to grate on me very quickly.

That’s not to say I’m completely unmoved by the death of people I don’t know. 9/11 was devastating, and not just because we all had it in common. It was a reminder of how much evil is out there, and a grim warning that the monsters who killed 3,000 Americans wanted to kill me, too. The sheer enormity of the number added weight to the moment, but it wasn’t the main reason to mourn. When a similar number died in the tsunami a few years back, it didn’t have the same personal impact to me.

I’m not sure how I feel, to be honest. When truly evil people make the world a better place by getting off of it – i.e. Yasser Arafat, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the like – I confess I permit myself a grisly moment of celebration. Michael Jackson wasn’t in that same league, but he was certainly creepy. He was never convicted of child molestation, but I know I’d never want my children within 50 yards of the guy. But his heinousness does not rise to the level of posthumous schadenfreude. All things considered, I’d probably rather he were still alive. But he isn’t, and I can find a way to carry on.

I have nothing profound to say, I guess. But I think that lack of profundity is profound in and of itself. (Whoa.) All I have left is The Essential Michael Jackson on compact disc, except I can't find disc one, and I think Stalliondo may have been using it as a Frisbee.

Rest in peace, River Phoenix.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The negative influence of the teachings of the Jehovah's Witnesses on Michael and his family have been either downplayed or totally ignored for as long as the Jackson Family has received public attention. For those readers who really want to know what life is like to be reared in the WatchTower Cult, nothing beats real world scenarios, and of real world scenarios, nothing beats actual civil and criminal court cases.

The following website summarizes 900 court cases and lawsuits involving children of Jehovah's Witness Parents. The summaries demonstrate how JW Families rear their children and live life day-to-day. Also included are nearly 400 CRIMINAL cases -- most involving MURDERS:

DIVORCE, BLOOD TRANSFUSIONS, AND OTHER LEGAL ISSUES AFFECTING CHILDREN OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES

jwdivorces.bravehost.com

June 25, 2009 at 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Jackson: secret library of 100 songs could be released

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6584011.ece

June 26, 2009 at 6:22 AM  
Blogger David's Holla Atchya! Blog said...

I just feel for the Tabloids. How are they going to cope? Will our nation crumble under this death?

June 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

You beat me to this blog. I wanted to just say on this issue: "Who cares? Everybody dies."

June 26, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Anonymous PubliusClodius said...

One less pedophile in the world is all his death signifies to me.

I hope the toilet seat hits him on the way out.

PC

June 26, 2009 at 8:57 AM  
Blogger S. Tallman said...

I used to love watching MJ dance. I cannot dance at all. My husband (clearly not blessed with the dance gene, either) makes me laugh by moon walking when he wants to make me giggle. For those giggles, I have to thank MJ.

June 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farrah Fawcett dies and goes to heaven. God grants her one wish. She wished for all the children to be safe. Sooo.....

June 26, 2009 at 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet he accidentally drank for the kids cup. That Jesus Juice is some powerful stuff.

June 26, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Timing eh?

He was just about to be sued, so he kicks the bucket on the opening night of the world's greatest music festival, Glastonbury. And gets a tribute song per band.

Yeah right!!!!

He's just cloned himself to die, and taken the Vegas express elevator to area 51, ie South America and more plastic surgery. I just hope the mossies get a good meal out of the rubber twat.

Runt is the politest definition.

June 26, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Tami B said...

I think, in the case of Princess Diana, I probably would disagree with you. In the beginning I liked her because she was fulfilling a childhood dream of mine. But as I grew up and watched her I grew to respect and admire her for her tireless work for different charities. Her death was devestating to the world because even though she struggled, she represented kindness, humanity, and the ability to rise above celebrity to care about other people. She became one of the people and her loss was personal to them.

June 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Dawg said...

I was never a big MJ fan, either. I recognized Thriller as possible genius, of course - there's a reason why it stands as the #1 best-selling album of all time.

I was in the audience when he first burst on the scene as lead singer of the Jackson 5. As he went solo, even I - who wasn't a big fan - could see the influence he was having on popular music, and if you look with more than one eye you can see that influence still alive and well on just about every stage at every concert of every currently popular artist (of whatever level of talent they might be).

His music reached a lot of people, his performances were, then, one-of-a-kind. Very few performers ever had the kind of impact Michael Jackson had on "popular entertainment."

That's why you see such an outpouring of grief at his sudden passing. Like Princess Diana, he became so much a part of the popular landscape that he endured as a force to be reckoned with long after another, more ordinary person would have faded away.

But as they say, the bigger the front, the bigger the back - balance will be maintained. That huge talent, the drive for perfection of each dance move and each musical note carries with it a cost, an equal and opposite measure. The Michael Jackson loved by the tabloids pretty much sums that up.

And I will point out (as did Stallion), he was found "not guilty" of the accusations against him. That means there is reasonable doubt he committed the acts he was accused of. But just to be accused of such behavior tars you forever, tattoos a label on your forehead: pedophile. Whether or not it is deserved.

Yes, he was creepy. And Yes, he was one of those incredibly rare talents that might - just maybe - come along once in a generation. And now we will never know if that talent had more to give us.

That's worth mourning, if only for a moment. Whether or not you were a fan.

I am
Dawg

June 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're going to melt him down since he's 99% plastic anyway and makes legos out of him, so the kids can play with him for a change.

good grief, what he did for music! HUGE! he changed the world! i love him so much for his music. truly, the way he made me feel! i missed him in life. this "death" thing means little more to me but thank god i don't have to see that alien form so much annoymore and cry, "why why what WHY!?" i have mourned the loss of that sad man for years. this is just more of same macabre wacko jacko madness for me. strange, sad, surreal,

unreal. like the plastic.

June 28, 2009 at 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, I would like to confess that I wanted to marry River Phoenix at one time. He was so dreamy, and between Stand By Me, The Mosquito Coast, and Over the Edge (I think that's the Judd Hirsch, Kristine Lahti film), there was evidence that he had some great talent. Then Gus got his hands on him with "My Own Private Idaho," where everyone was apparently wasted 99% of the time (from what I heard, you'd be too if you had say the dialogue and perform the content on that film - alas, I missed it. Sick that day. Well, not really "alas" to tell the truth. I was working in a movie theater when it came out, and no one wanted to have to clean that theater for fear of what you'd find). Anyway, after Idaho, Phoenix was terrible in pretty much everything but Sneakers (or was that pre-Idaho?) When he died, it was just lame and meaningless. What a waste of a hot man!

June 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could someone explain what exactly Michael Jacksin did for music?

It get's rolled out a lot at the moment, yet no-one has really explained what that means.

As far as I can tell, his talent got hooked up with a great producer, made a couple of good records, sold on the back of a gimmick video.

Did none of this exist before 1982?

June 30, 2009 at 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AP Exclusive: Jackson wrapped video before death

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D994KEU00&show_article=1

June 30, 2009 at 9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me for music for what he did, there aren't words. anonymous don't know worthy, but she's never without words.

michael jackson changed my world. one might say he rocked my world. that is all.

July 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home