My Photo
Name:
Location: Argentina Neuquén Mission, Argentina

Monday, October 19, 2009

The Invention of Lying, Atheism, and POUNDS

Over the weekend, I took the lovely Mrs. Cornell to Ricky Gervais' latest, The Invention of Lying. I have yet to see Mr. Gervais in anything that was less than entertaining, although this came the closest. It's a very clever conceit - Gervais plays a guy who learns how to lie in a world where dishonesty is impossible - but it goes in fairly unpredictable directions. I suppose that's good, overall, since most movies are far too predictable, but the general basis of the film is that all religion is based on a hokey story about a man in the sky who controls everything you do. Gervais' character makes up this lie to comfort his dying mother, but when everyone else overhears him talking about it, he more or less fashions a pop version of the Ten Commandments and writes them on the back of pizza boxes to dupe the gullible masses, who are too stupid to realize that all religion is a transparent lie.

I find that point of view confusing more than anything else.

I have long acknowledged the fact that I will never know what it is like not to be a Latter-day Saint. That is, even if I ended up leaving the church, I would always be a disaffected Latter-day Saint or a former Latter-day Saint. But everything will always be filtered through some fundamental assumptions that have been with me for as long as I've had memory.

So with that caveat, I can still say that I lack the faith necessary to be an atheist.

It requires a tremendous amount of confidence in the wisdom of the learned to look at the universe and assume it's all a bizarre accident. Even the most ardent Darwinists have to acknowledge that the theory of natural selection doesn't even come to close to explaining how and why life exists, or how it arrived in such perfect ecological balance, or why, for instance, human beings,unlike any other animals, often feel a tension between what they want and what they know is right. (C.S. Lewis cited that as the greatest proof of God's existence.)

Now I recognize that this doesn't necessarily prove or even suggest any given theology. One can acknowledge purpose and order and still have no faith in anyone in ancient Palestine dying for their sins. But to flagrantly deny the existential evidence of divinity in the universe strikes me as an act of monumental hubris, as well as an act of supreme faith in an incomplete science and/or in their own personal genius. It also leads to barbarism if left unchecked. (See Stalin/Hitler/Mao.)

Which leads me to POUNDS' pertient comments on my last post.


As an agnostic, who whole-heartedly supports your decision to embrace the LDS church and its doctrines, I would appreciate your response to the following:

If you accept an all-knowing and infallible God, isn't it possible that He has designed things so that different people will adopt different views and perceptions of Him? Or even that He prefers it that way?

That was the idea behind the finale of the Battlestar Galactica remake, where we discovered that everything was orchestrated by a God who "didn't like to be called that." This idea has many champions, many of whom speak of all of us "climbing up different sides of the mountain." That is, each of us is reaching for the same thing, and all of us will get their in the end. Or, to quote Bernie Taupin: "We all make the same mistakes/We're gonna wind up with the Man."

Here's my problem with it.

In no other form of human experience does sincerity create truth. That is, one can truly, sincerely believe any number of weird medical fads, but if those beliefs are not in line with how the human body actually works, then they're useless. Or dangerous. All the doctors who bled out their patients up until the 20th Century had a different view and perception of how the human body worked, one which I assume was quite sincere. And still it was wrong.

Truth exists independent of humanity's interpretation of it.

So whoever/whatever/whenever God is, He/She/It is. The fact that people are confused on the details doesn't mean that each interpretation is equally valid, although I would submit that it isn't a black and white proposition. Some religions have bigger chunks of the truth than others, and if I found a church with more truth than the one I have now, I'd join it. I think the confusion is a product of human fallibility, not divine design.

As to whether God prefers it that way, I think that's a more interesting question. Certainly He hasn'ty taken the steps He could to settle the issue once and for all, but I think that goes to the heart of the purpose of mortal existence. Latter-day Saints posit that we lived with God before life on this earth, and we were sent here to demonstrate our ability to walk by faith, without God providing all the answers. I think He wants us to find the truth, and the multiplicity of religions demonstrate varying degrees of success in that quest.

Why would an omniscient and omnipresent deity, who is the "Creator of all
things" (Latin: ex nihilo) create or allow alternative faiths or the sense of
doubt held by those who are uncertain about the true nature of existence itself?

We're entering very deep theological waters here, but I need to respond by saying that Mormons reject the idea of ex nihilo, or "out of nothing" creation.

Joseph Smith was all for the Law of Conservation of Mass before it was cool. He wrote, "Man was also in the beginning with God. Intelligence, or the Light of Truth, was not created or made, neither indeed can be." (Doctrine and Covenants 93:29. In verse 33, he also says, "The elements are eternal.")

So from our perspective, God's creation involves the organizing of eternally existening elements to bring order out of chaos, not pulling something from nothing. This also means that a piece of us, independent of our bodies, has always existed and was not created out of nothing. That is the only part of us that we can truly offer to God, since everything else is His handiwork. As independent agents who are co-eternal; with God, our doubts, our weaknesses, and our misunderstandings are our own responsibilities.


Is it not possible that an all-powerful and all-knowing God WANTED diversity of
views (and faiths) that meet the needs of different people in different ways?

Yes, it is possible. But it seems unlikely to me that God would want people to believe things that are diametrically opposed to each other. The truth can be viewed from many different perspectives, certainly, but I doubt God would want us to say that black and white are the same thing.

It would seem that is just as reasonable and satisfying an explanation as the
specific beliefs on any particular religion are to its adherents.

It's certainly a more reasonable view than atheism.

And, of course, that is why I am an agnostic who marvels at all the different
("absolutist")views which are sincerely held by so many people..... including so
many that I greatly respect.

You're a good man, sir.

Bottom line: Wait for The Invention of Lying on Video. It's kind of unwieldy, but it's also got a pretty funny Pepsi joke in it.

20 Comments:

Anonymous wbpraw said...

It was a pretty stupid movie. Along with all the religion nonsense, apparantly you can't be happy unless you're lying or being lied to. AND you have no ability to hold your tongue.
I agree with the Pepsi joke though.

October 19, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

That's the thing that was stupid. You can tell the truth without blurting out what's on your mind at inappropriate times.

October 19, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger WhiteEyebrows said...

So my take on this is that Mormon Theology actually has the strongest position of most Christian (and monotheistic religions) on this topic.

Mormon theology and afterlife suggests that:

1) Almost everyone gets something good. Everyone (except for the few 'sons of perdition' (think: judas)) will attain a portion of the glory of God for all eternity. A loving God, Father of our spirits, would not want to condemn most of mankind for all eternity.

2) Provides for learning, change, and progression in the afterlife. Sitting on a cloud and strumming a harp seems boring to me.

Mormon Theology is one of the only Christian (arguably) monotheistic that provides for the gap in everyone's understanding of God.

October 19, 2009 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about the flip side of the Mountain analogy?

What if people are climbing the wrong mountain entirely?

What if everyone has it wrong, and no one is on the right path?

What then?

October 19, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Problem is that true belief in anything religion/ideology/ science can lead to fanaticism. Actually some estimate that 1 in 10people are on a sociopathic scale and only are kept in cheque by society and force. Luckily nowadays, sociopaths can express themselves through competition in religion, sports, business, banking, politics and all sorts of avenues. So attributing evil behaviour to atheism is not quite solid. Porter Rockwell was probably a sociopath who found a cause which needed his "(s)kills". Does that make him a good man?

My issue with any "only true path" religions (Mormonism, Catholicism, JW)is that it is superior to its own detriment. Anyone who does not "get it" is inferior and spiritually immature. This is not the case.

Mormons themselves have a tendency to "bask" in this certainity and are often doctrinally and scripturally lazy. Scriptures are read out of context or in no context and people (if you are lucky) dont read past their Sunday School manuals. Gospel doctrine class is not educational enough it an affirmation session.

Abbot

October 19, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Abbot, I'm not trying to suggest that religion automatically produces saints or that atheism produces monsters. My beef is with those who parrot the line that religion has caused all the violence in the world, when the 20th Century's greatest mass murderers were atheists.

Instead, I agree with your premise, that any ideology, in the hands of a zealot, can be dangerous. I also agree that Mormons can be intellectually lazy.

Anonymous, I think it's quite possible to climb the wrong mountain. It's a bad thing to do.

October 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

I'm trying to get through this post...but...I'm stuck.

I'm still trying to figure out where it takes "confidence" not to believe that the universe was/is planned/directed...

You go next into saying:

Even the most ardent Darwinists have to acknowledge that the theory of natural selection doesn't even come to close to explaining how and why life exists,.

Uhh...there's a reason why natural selection doesn't come close to explaining how and why life exists...namely, that is not its purpose. Natural selection is not about the origin of life. I wouldn't even describe our ecological balance as being anywhere near perfect (unless you consider, for example, our constant attempts to *defy* nature by making all kinds of drugs to counteract the toxic nature of certain bacteria, viruses, or fungi a "perfect" balance)...and I find a tension between what people want and what people feel to be right to be inconclusive, because what we so often find is that both of these (the desires and the perceived "rights") differ greatly by person, by upbringing, and so on.

No, I don't think it is hubris. I think it is more humble. I note that I *do not know* and as a result, I do not attribute this universe to the result of a grand design or a grand designer. (So, this can't be "supreme faith in an incomplete science," since all the incomplete science would allow us to do is say, "I don't know." On the other hand, faith is knowing things unseen...)

I actually think it would be somewhat insulting to attribute this kind of universe to any supposed deity. We underestimate the deity's power or benevolence in doing so.

I dunno. I've only really addressed a slim part of your overall article, so perhaps I should've just stayed quiet. I just don't get this claim to atheist faith...

October 19, 2009 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger Andy said...

That movie was such a waste. Not only because it evolved into mockery of religion. But also because it began with an inherently good concept (what does the first guy who discovers dishonesty do with this new-found power?) and didn't do anything interesting (or entertaining) with it.

If you told me to create a movie based on the first guy who discovers dishonesty, I think I could come up with a pretty entertaining story.....and I'm just an accountant.

As it was, the first 30 minutes were funny (albeit crude), but they showed glimpses of the potential the story had. Unfortunately, the movie took an abrupt turn and became both anti-religious and uninteresting.

October 20, 2009 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Andrew S., you're blurring the line between atheism and agnosticism. To say, "I don't know" is to be agnostic. To announce conclusively that there is no God in the face of the order of the Universe is to be an atheist. You claim atheism but justify that claim with agnostic skepticism.

I agree with much of what you wrote, in that agnosticism doesn't require the kind of hubris and faith in incomplete science that atheism does.

And Andy - the one who commented after Andrew S. - I agree with your assessment of the movie entirely.

October 20, 2009 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

Stallion:

Agnosticism and atheism are not mutually exclusive. Agnosticism indeed is the epistemological statement, the "I don't know."

but from there, that doesn't answer the question regarding belief. One still must answer belief (whether for or against) or disbelief. And disbelief (lack of belief in god) is still atheism.

October 20, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I think they are mutually exclusive.

Agnosticism is neutrality and requires no faith; atheism takes sides and requires a deliberate rejection of any evidence suggesting divinity.

It's a much more strident ideology, and it requires tremendous faith in something other than God.

October 20, 2009 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

that's counterintuitive and unrealistic.

Agnosticism doesn't preclude a belief or nonbelief. In fact, most theistic traditions commend agnostic theism (those who don't KNOW God exists, but exercise faith that he does).

All the agnosticism says is "I don't know". But knowledge is separate from belief.

Atheism is not a rejection of evidence for God...that is quite loaded...rather...we have this evidence, and theists conclude it points to a god...and atheiests do not make the same conclusion.

If I don't know if God exists, and I DON'T have faith God exists, then naturally, I will not attribute the universe to him/her/it. That does not require faith. It is a lack of faith.

October 20, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

I disagree. If I don't know if God exists, but I refuse to draw a conclusion, then I'm an agnostic. If I don't know that God exists but I conclude that He doesn't, I've drawn a conclusion that requires tremendous faith in my own reasoning.

An atheist has to examine the evidence and conclude that God is absent from the equation, and the very nature and existence of the universe requires you to overlook much of existence to do that.

October 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

but you wouldn't be refusing to draw a conclusion as an agnostic. You might be lacking a belief...but in that case, you are also atheist.

It seems we're getting caught past each other.

So, we know that theism is the belief God exists...one who lacks this belief...who does not believe God exists...is an atheist.

But here you seem to have pointed out a different setup. Where atheism is only the belief God does not exist...but this explicit, strong, positive atheism isn't the whole of atheism. Atheism still is the lack of belief in gods, which our agnostic nonbeliever qualifies.

The existence of the universe leads one to conclude that the universe exists...it says nothing about a deity. You need faith to assert this additional existence claim...without that faith, you lack any reason to believe and are atheist.

October 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

Yeah, we may have descended into semantics, and I don't know that we're accomplishing much. But I do think it's important to note that atheism isn't just a "lack of faith." I think, by definition, that that's agnosticism. Atheism, by definition, is active.

I think there are three main branches of thought to account for existence.

Theism: God did this.
Atheism: God did NOT do this, because there is no God.
Agnosticism: I have no idea who or what did this.

I think you're trying to soften the blow of atheism's implications. I suppose you could combine atheism with agnosticism to some degree - i.e. I have no idea who or what did this, but one thing's for sure - it wasn't God, because God doesn't exist. But that's an intellectually inconsistent thing - if you don't know know who or what did this, how can you be so sure it wasn't God?

Can you agree that to conclusively declare that there is no God, you need faith in something other than God?

October 20, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

I disagree with your accounts on all three.

Theism = "I BELIEVE God did this."
Atheism = "I DO NOT believe God did this (because I do not believe God exists))." (This does not require faith, IMO) OR "I DO NOT believe God did this (because I believe God does not exist) Atheism, under nearly all common dictionary definitions, will have two parts...one is a disbelief...this the lack of belief...the other is the denial...so it does not follow that atheism must be active, because three is an entire definition that is just the lack of belief.

Notice as well that atheism and theism are positions regarding BELIEFS. This is very important, because agnosticism is a position regarding knowledge. I'd task you to look at the definitions of atheism or theism again, I think you'd find that they do concern beliefs.

Agnosticism = "I don't know."

Note how each answer (theism and atheism) is not inconsistent with agnosticism, because agnosticism is simply a position about knowledge. It is completely consistent to say, "I don't know...but here's what I believe."

I'm trying to soften atheism's blow because I'm just trying to be clear about what atheism implies and what agnosticism implies. I am not trying to "combine" atheism and agnosticism...instead, I'm trying to specifically separate them. Agnosticism is about *knowledge* and atheism is a position regarding belief (at minimal, lack of belief in gods). You combine atheism and theism with gnosticism -- that's why you say that atheism is "sure" or "certain." But this is not the case. I'd argue that most people who are theists aren't "sure" or "certain" -- rather, they have faith. They hope. They wish. They trust. They aren't sure or certain.

With atheism, one simply does *not* hope. One is skeptical.

October 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

typo edit:

"three is an entire definition" should be "there is an entire definition"

October 20, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger Elder Samuel Bennett said...

First of all, Andrew, thanks for jumping in here. This is an intriguing discussion, and I don't think it's just semantics.

Someone who would say, "I don't know, but I believe God did it," is a Theist, even if their belief is very weak. Conversely, one who says, "I don't know, but I believe there is no God," is an atheist, even if their belief - or lack of belief? - is weak. So, yes, there can be a healthy dose of agnosticism on either side.

I think, therefore, the issue becomes where your default position is. And either default position requires a measure of faith. If you're willing to reject the existence of God, however halfheartedly, you have to believe that science, or some other source, offers a plausible enough explanation to account for the totality of the universe in the absence of God.

If you don't have any such belief, then you're agnostic, not atheist.

October 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

(Sorry, this message might be longer than my others)

I agree that the person who says, "I don't know, but I believe God did it," is a theist, but I do not agree that their belief is weak.

This is the entire role of faith. It's that one doesn't know (is agnostic), and yet has faith to believe regardless (is theist). So, their belief often is very strong. I think the confusion comes from how, in the LDS church, we often say in testimony that we "know," hiding the role of faith and belief. So, it sounds to us as if someone who gave a testimony saying they "believed" instead of "knew" was a weaker member...but this isn't actually the case...this is really more precisely, and glorifies the role of faith.

Another place I'd disagree on the use of "strong" vs. "weak" is that philosophically (at least for describing things like atheism and theism), these already have particular meanings determined by the form of the statement. In this case, all theism is strong, because theism is a statement that posits. For example, it posits, "I believe God exists."

With atheism, you have two cases. The "weak" atheist statement simply negates. It is, "I do not believe God exists." (So, it takes the theist assertion and negates it...)

The "strong" atheist statement is a statement that posits...but it instead posits: "I believe God does not exist."

("Weak theism" isn't accepted as theism. no one is called a theist who simply "does not believe God does not exist." However, someone who does not believe God does exist is easily and universally recognized as atheist...and this was the origin of the term.)

Really, what you describe as "weak theism" or "weak atheism" aren't weak beliefs. The theist who says, "I don't know, but I believe God did it," doesn't WEAKLY believe. Rather, s/he is agnostic and theist.

That is why I say agnosticism and theism/atheism are NOT mutually exclusive. Because we can EASILY imagine someone who says, "I don't know, but I believe God did it," or "I don't know, and I don't believe God did it." The former part of each statement (I don't know) describes agnosticism and their knowledge position, and the latter parts (I believe/I do not believe) describes their theism or atheism. If agnostic theism or agnostic atheism were mutually exclusive, then one couldn't logically say, "I don't know, but I believe," or "I don't know, but I don't believe."

To be continued...

October 20, 2009 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Andrew S said...

Going on to the default position. This gets into burdens of proof. One side is asserting something. The other is rejecting. The burden of proof goes to the asserting side.

For example, if I assert I believe in cosmic all-knowing fairies and you do not believe in them...you do not have to do any accounting. Rather, people who *do* believe in fairies would have to account for them. And if the reasons I provide are not personally persuasive to you, that's it. You continue not to believe. You and other nonbelievers in fairies wouldn't have to account for a universe in the absence of fairies because I have not made a compelling case for the *presence* of fairies.

With God, you have the similar framework, but God is simply larger and more pervasive. but still, the burden lies on those who assert there is such a deity.

If someone is unconvinced by the reasoning for deities (as are atheists), then they do not believe. It ends there. They don't then have to account for "a universe in the absence of God." They don't EVEN have to believe that "science, or some other source, offers a plausible enough explanation to account for the totality of the universe."

Does this make sense?

I mean, do you see what you did in the last part of your last comment? You assumed God, and then called for others to account in absence of God.

But what I'm saying is, if you assume God, you actually have to account for the *presence* of God. If you do not do so convincingly (it may be convincing to you, but not to everyone), then the unconvinced people will reject your accounting. They will not believe. They will be atheists. Where you assumed God, the atheist does *not* assume God. The assumption of God requires faith, but the nonassumption of God does not.

October 20, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home